Haelstrom: How I do Homework.

The place to talk about nothing.
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Haelstrom: How I do Homework.

Post by Haelstrom »

Yes, that is my name. I'm that badass.
First, I Googled the image with the keyword "Tower" and the option for Large images displayed only. Finding an adequate image, I resized it for my canvas space in Photoshop and made the tower my background layer, added a adjustment layer of Black&White above that, and set to work.

I duplicated the background layer, and set it to a blending mode of Exclusion. This turned the image more dire, like some kind of odd apocalyptic setting. I'd probably add foreboding, cheesy red flares if the assignment allowed it, but alas.

I merged all layers, duplicated the only layer, set this layer to Darker Color blending mode at 57% opacity, and then rotated it 90 degrees CW, Filter->Stylize->Wind, Stagger. I then rotated it back 90 degrees CCW. This makes the scene even more foreboding, and has several of the details seem like they're bleeding downward.

But, seems a little bland. So, DeviantArt ahoy - Photoshop brushes, "Lightning," find some that look decent and allow others to use, http://kakefat.deviantart.com/art/Light ... t-61239647 - bingo.

Blending Mode -> Outer Glow, Blend Mode Overlay 100% Opacity pure White Color with 6% spread and 24px size. I then went to Photoshop CS4's 3D -> New Shape from Layer, Sphere. Transforming it into a smart 3D Object, I resized it (cropping it at two sides, creating the basic shape I want.

Now, duplicate that layer, shrink it vertically, rotate it 90 degrees, duplicate -that- two times. The remainder of the steps for creating the base shape are too minute to chronicle here - let's just say I Free Transformed, rotated, and duplicated the same shape.. many, many, many times. If somehow I come across as having rhyme or reason for this, it was accidental. Vaguely, I think of the term "Drop Ship," based off of a ship of the same name from a game called Mega Man Legends 2 I played back when I was a child. Memory's hazy but they're definetely similar.

Blend all those innumerable layers, blending mode, Pattern Overlay, Oil Pastel on Canvas, Soft Light, 55% Scale.

Now for my poor attempt at realistic lighting: new layer, random black brushing across the lower section of the ship, new layer, random white brushing across the upper section of the ship. CTRL+M1'd the ship layer, went to Black, Select->Inverse, Ctrl+X. Repeat with the White layer.

Black Layer, 74% Opacity. White Layer, 8% Opacity. Both normal blending mode.

Duplicated the Ship layer, free transformed about 40% size, placed the duplicate behind the original Ship Layer, color overlay -> Black, Soft Light. Change the actual layer Blending Mode to Pin Light, use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to cut the shadow layer so it only applies to the building.

Layer right above the original Background, below all others: Exclusion blend, brushed over the building some with white. Why? To create glare for.. jet exhaust. This ship's going to ride the lightning. I don't know why. So, huge streak of white brushing from the bottom base, three pieces with the top being Smudge tool'd around a little, all prior to a Filter -> Motion Blur once they were merged. Duplicates twice, free transformed to be much smaller, and touched up a little with a low opacity brush eraser.

Now, I could stop here, but I've come this far. Duplicate the ship and thruster layers, resize to be much smaller, lower the opacity of the thruster layers, Black Color Overlay with low opacity on the ship - presto, we now have a ship in the skies far ahead, the makings of a squadron. Another duplicate, free transform rotated, is made slightly bigger than the first duplicate ship, set lower down with an Exclusion layer of White Smudge Tooled to make it seem like it's exploded. Something has to blow up and someone has to fail or this would be dull.

Finally.. I decided ".. just flying into lightning is really lame, so I created a boss. An enemy of mankind, utilizing lightning along this almost Tower of Babel-esque sky road as its apendages. I call it Quetzalcoatl, named after the Mesoamerican god. Alternatively, I'll call him [Lord Fahuhukwadz], because it sounds funny. Creating a few layers of black random-opacity splotches (all low but overlapping creating a condensed center), I call this Quetzalcoatl's nucleus.

FINALLY DOS, I created a video-game-esque little menun interface circa arcade Galaga shooters or something of the ilk, with a miniature White-Color overlayed version of the ship shape and all. I even took Bill Rizer from a 3D Contra game, used the Quick Selection tool to crop out his head, shrank it, gave it a black Color Overlay in hue, and used a soft brush to erase the top portion of his head. This way, I could make a new layer, 61% opacity white, and draw him a body/gangster hat and eyepatch, because all older male protagonists need eyepatches and high-tech large shouldered body armor. I surmise he is now the fusion of Sean Connery, Snake Pliskin, and Rambo.

I hope this demonstrates the assignment specifics adequately.
http://haelstrom.net/images/rehost/towe ... 000-pu.jpg The original image.

This is why I deserve a better grade than everyone in that class.
Gloria
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Re: Haelstrom: How I do Homework.

Post by Gloria »

Interesting~ I like how you explain how you did everything and your reasons for it. My small critique would be that I wish you had done more work to the "nucleus" at the top. I don't think there's enough detail in the center of it. Anyway, looks cool.
Gloria 7x High Priest
Auria 99 Super Novice
Nil9x Hunter