About Multiclienting

Love us or just like us. Leave your thoughts and suggestions to improve the server.
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Re: About Multiclienting

Post by Phaiyte »

Koma wrote:RO's client code actually puts a strain on your computer regardless of your specifications. No matter what kind of computer you have, it'll always run your hardware as if it's running with a full load -- with the exception of with ROExt modifications.

There have been cases of several newer/higher-end laptops overheating where the GPU will crack under the heat load, as well as HDDs going bad from the jumping all over the GRF files (only 1gb but imagine those heads). Of note, it is of course more common on laptops for these issues to happen. If you would like proof of it, I have several Core2Duo-spec boards here with nVidia chipsets that only ran RO which reached this end. It's also quite known that nVidia had its share of bad GPU soldering in its manufacturing as well in recent years with mass recalls for Dell, Sony, and Toshiba laptops to name a few.

While this may not seem like a lot to the players of today (most have even higher specifications than yours), it's bound to happen and is more common than one may think. Most of the time, it isn't RO that's blamed as a contributing factor -- with the root cause being poor manufacturing and stress/heat.

In the end though, this is a null topic considering that adding the official flag to the official client is still on the future client task list -- as mentioned previously in other threads and in the post done in October.
I think I just lol'd....
A lot.
Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops.

To be the hero is all I'll ask.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Myself as well.
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Post by Phaiyte »

I mean really.
It's not like RO is Prototype on crack or anything.
The system requirements are pretty low and not very demanding.
1 gig is no big deal at all for any hard drive, really.

Like I said, I can run LITERALLY 40 clients no problem rofl.
Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops.

To be the hero is all I'll ask.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

It isn't, but it is poor coding that is the problem. It was designed during the college years of a start-up company, hence all of the issues with it from a developer's perspective. It was more of an experiment at the time. They have progressed over the years, but RO has stayed mostly stationary due to the way it can't be optimized without hurting how things are done with server-client interaction. The client was made to run on a 233-333mhz computer w/ a 16mb graphics card, but no matter what system you have, it'll run utilizing 99-100% of your CPU at all times (without ROExt) -- forcing a CPU to always operate at peak heat levels.

As a proof of concept, your watercooling, peltier, or fans on your GPU would not speed up after awhile since this is such an old game. Run something more recent and you won't even have that happen most of the time.

Regarding the 40 clients without a problem: who can't?

That topic makes a good thread though. You should make an Offtopic thread about PC Specifications. I'd be more interested to know who has the game installed on a RAID SSD setup like a few of the players I know -- as their load times are non-existant -- rather than how many cores and SLI GPUs as those are pointless for RO.