About Multiclienting

Love us or just like us. Leave your thoughts and suggestions to improve the server.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

About Multiclienting

Post by Koma »

I'm going to start this thread early, considering we're already having people asking about it outside of the forums.

We are taking the same approach as last time: there's no rule against it, but if you break any rules doing it, you're out of luck (such as botting or harassment) -- we do not support it at all.

The reason for this? Multiclienting can be done in multiple ways even if it's not on one computer. There are also plenty of people that play RO in "internet cafes" that also share IP addresses. In addition, there are many players that simply auto-follow their friends who are "leeching" them -- and are at their house on a separate computer slaving away. Not to be harsh or anything, but if you haven't experienced any of the above, then I'm not surprised that you don't understand the above -- even though you're probably arguing for people to be "partying together with real people". It doesn't get much more "real" than some of those situations.

So why not simply allow it within the client? This is for several reasons. One is since multi-clienting puts a burden on a player's computer, it could end up being detrimental to their hardware, or by chance, any other issues that may arise from the same program accessing the same set of files it's modifying. We will not be held accountable for any issues that may arise from such -- hence why it is at your own risk. While this is a very rare, insignificant issue, and may never even happen at all (I've yet to hear it even -- although I have had a laptop's GPU fry from playing RO too much..), there is potential, considering the way that RO is coded and uses maximum resources. Another reason would be that some players may find it their given right to use multiclienting as an excuse for some terms such as "I traded the wrong person when I meant to trade myself" or "I couldn't see my other character and it got warped out of a dungeon after being killed" -- these fall under the stupidity rule anyways, but this also helps filter these claims.

Also multiclienting is not exactly supported under the terms that it is more promoted to have a single account -- hence why we allow 12 characters per account, have an auction house (which may be adjusted to support this more), and limit a single e-mail to one account to begin with. The process is actually deterred outside of the client by providing such incentives. Sooner or later, an "Achievement" system will be implemented, and people that have been multiclienting may find themselves a bit lacking in those statistics as well.

Here are two of the threads to where our stance comes from: Crescendo-RO.
dual Client - http://www.crescendo-ro.com/dual_Client.html
No Questioning to "No Duel-Client'ing?" - http://www.crescendo-ro.com/No_Questioni.html

If you have an additional argument, try not to repeat what has already been mentioned in the past threads.
dissentient
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Re: About Multiclienting

Post by dissentient »

I always enjoy reading those sorts of forum threads. The way people get so hot and bothered over something so trivial is humorous. If the server's stance on multi-clienting is, "we won't make it easy but you can," I don't understand why people have to pick one side of the fence to sit on. If you enjoy playing a game solo and using multiple characters, have at it. If you prefer to play with a single character and work with groups 90% of the time, have at it. Just stop telling other people that they're wrong or somehow less of a player because they made a decision on how to play, while following the rules.
Hedus
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Hedus »

Thats good. Anyone modified the client yet? :P
Just stop telling other people that they're wrong or somehow less of a player because they made a decision on how to play, while following the rules.
It sounds like your telling people not to be telling other people what to do? I agree with you, but I just found it humorously counter logical. =D
dissentient
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by dissentient »

Maybe so. I just hate seeing these discussions get out of hand. And yes, I've already hexed mine, lol.
Syze
Poporing
Poporing

Post by Syze »

All this does is give an advantage to players who know how to hex their clients over those who don't.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Staff cannot be held accountable for that. People are pointing the blame finger needlessly.

On any official, retail game, you still have the capability of making two accounts and using them to level. There's always a way -- from faking your address, using multiple computers, and so forth. It's even common for one person to play two teams in Starcraft, have two accounts in WoW, and even multiclient on iRO-Free (even though the client doesn't support it either).

On another aspect of this, which it seems I failed to mention -- although I believe I mentioned it on the other server: if players hit gate 1 of the bot-check servers in an attempt to hex the client, this is also something that gets reviewed. This doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be banned, but that you may have set off some alarms which may lead to it in the future.

As far as giving players an advantage over others, who knows? Maybe it'll be detrimental in the long haul. As I stated before, it's at the player's risk. If they set off any alarms, such as the one above, or get kicked off for something that may look like corrupt packets due to one client bogging down the system so the other client fails, that is something they will have to live with. Any funky instances that happen on a multiclient aren't things that we support, so if a player gets banned for it by the server itself-- as I said, not our fault.

Multiclienting takes work as well. If you can pat your head and rub your tummy, there's an achievement.
dissentient
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by dissentient »

RO is not the only game where I've run multiple clients. I could name several titles and half of which have been pay to play, from Anarchy Online (p2p), Age of Conan (p2p), EVE Online (p2p) and Lineage 2 (pservers). My PC is currently retailing at nearly $3,000 and I upgrade it every 8-12 months. Some of the "unfair advantage" arguments are a moot point, where in many PC titles, every player that has a superior system will be at an advantage in frame rate, higher screen resolution, etc. If you want to argue about fair on what computers can or can't run, go play a console.

If the availability of the hexed client is your issue, send me a private message and I'll provide you a link to the hexed AmistrRO.exe, or if you don't trust me, I'll provide you with the codes to edit and you can hex it yourself. I'm not here to be an asshat because I know a thing or two about the RO client. Like everyone else, I just want to enjoy the game. I do believe in a fair playfield.

Edit: Wait until the server launches before asking for any multiclient hexes. I want to make sure I have the "final" .exe before sending anything to anyone.
Patrick
Poring
Poring

Post by Patrick »

well I have this "AmistrGM" File that lets me access AmistrRO more than once.

I got it from the old AmistrRO that we tested before (Kiana and a couple of other people including me have tested the server) I copied it to my new AmistrRO folder and now it lets me access RO more than once.

You might be able to ask Kiana for it or if not my msn is patrick26s@hotmail.com" TARGET="_blank and I'll try to send you the file.

Hope i can help anyone at all /heh
Leader of Touch The Birdie Guild :D
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Boo to using the outdated alpha or beta client.
rephikul
Marin
Marin

Post by rephikul »

I'd also like to note that I was forbidden to 20x clients to do bgs. So multiclient in moderation and ask GMs if you arent sure.