(+) Hide Scatters Following Monsters (was: Juperos (Venatu))

Accepted suggestions because we like you so much.
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

(+) Hide Scatters Following Monsters (was: Juperos (Venatu))

Post by GDRAGON »

This is referring to the "fix" which has been made according to this post viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1445

Venatu still, and are supposed to be able to target you even if you're in hide. To elaborate, if it already targetted you, and you hide, it can still hit you. It was always like that. But some change has been made so that right now, venatu will change direction once its target disappears(in hide/cloak) regardless of its previous destination.

Just because some people cant handle the way venatu is supposed to be, doesn't mean this has to change for everyone. It was fine the way it was. Right now, venatu reacts differently to hide than any other monster in the game. Anyone in their right minds can see that. There's no valid reason that it should, either.

So with that said, please undo this "fix".
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Juperos (Venatu)

Post by Koma »

There was no "fix" made or change at all -- hence why there is no update log for it. It has stayed the same pretty much since launch. Our server-side SVN logs as well as the eAthena logs are available for reference.

In other words, it was a placebo effect.

The same could be said about the effects you are experiencing now, as well as the complaints the monsters were sped-up after I had made that post. This is how that bug was resolved ultimately. So if you're still experiencing either end of the spectrum, it's all very much psychology.

The point to be made here is that a lot of these "issues" are in the mind or highlighted from posts like these -- which is also what replies to that bug report had reflected as well. The comment about 138108412 servers or so was also checked into.

So, again, if there are still issues with "no change" having taken place, please let me know. ^_-
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Post by GDRAGON »

Just woke up, so I'm just skimming words here and there. From what I understand, you're basically saying its a psychological effect that I think there was something changed to the venatu mob. If I'm wrong, then please correct me.

I've shown a few others (from my guild, of course - we're not very social), and they also agree that there's something wrong with the way venatu acts. Whether or not there has been made a change or not, it really doesn't matter in this case. The problem here is that venatu certainly does act differently. Let me give an example: You mob a bunch of anolians, bathories, goats (basically any monster), they will follow you. When you hide, they WILL finish moving to where they last saw the target player. But in this case, venatu does otherwise. Right after the target player hides/cloaks, they not only fail to follow this rule as a monster, but it chooses a new direction to walk in and moves away.

If needed be, I could demonstrate this online.
keem
Poring
Poring

Post by keem »

I agree with GDRAGON. I've been down to Juperos and the Venatus run away in different directions RIGHT when you hide. I've been to several servers prior to this one and this is the first time I have encountered this issue. Although it does not pose a great threat to whoever is mobbing, it does get rather frustrating since you have to regather your mob again. Usually when I am mobbing Juperos (on other servers), Venatus stay where you have hid after mobbing them and await their death patiently. This is not the case in this server.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Only point being made by the first reply was that nothing was changed originally. If there is a bug, then consider this the first report and we will look into it.

We immediately had a backlash reaction when I had first stated that there was a fix -- when no fix had been done to begin with. This is just the clarification of that.

The only thing that comes to mind is an old modification long before this server came up that's in our configuration (meaning no one talked about it since they thought it was natural and a proper addition) . There originally were players under the old server build who recommended that the monsters immediately think after losing sight of their targets. This can be under review again if necessary.
// 0x008: If set, when a mob loses track of their target, they stop walking
// inmediately. Otherwise, they continue to their last target tile. When
// set mobs also scatter as soon as they lose their target. Use this mode
// to make it much harder to mob-train by hiding and collecting them on a
// single spot (ie: GrimTooth training)
I repeat yet again though: this is not related to the previous thread that was referred to. This was an intentional modification many years ago. As far as most players understand though, this is not a change that has recently happened on the server, nor is it something new on this server -- whereas it may be different from other servers, yes. This, of course, doesn't make it right, but if wanted, a suggestion could be made to overturn this flag setting.
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Post by GDRAGON »

I'm not saying this was changed recently. But it's my first week going down there since I joined (sometime in December). But yeah, it'll be much appreciated if that mode was turned off. It's my first time seeing it since playing RO for nearly 7 years.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Moved to Suggestions forum for discussion.
Poseidon
Poring
Poring

Post by Poseidon »

I have my doubts about this, this will get too many reactions. Juperos was fine the way it was, cause what happened here is basically nerfing one of the better lvling places of an Assassin. Even if this was a change made years ago. If you do this, Assassins can go demand a nerf on other classes' better leveling spots. It's an endless street. Juperos was made for Assassins to mob, if you take away the mobability then it becomes pretty much useless to level there. I vote for the old Juperos back.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

This wasn't a Juperos specific "nerf". The change years ago was that monsters immediately continue moving rather than staying stationary on a target cell when a player goes into hide. For those that may remember, this was actually targetting Seals, Anolians, and Mermen in the past. It's still possible to Grim-Mob them though, as many players have been doing since server launch -- albeit a little more tricky to pull off.

As mentioned above, this flag was ENABLED for the entire server:
// 0x008: If set, when a mob loses track of their target, they stop walking
// inmediately. Otherwise, they continue to their last target tile. When
// set mobs also scatter as soon as they lose their target. Use this mode
// to make it much harder to mob-train by hiding and collecting them on a
// single spot (ie: GrimTooth training)
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

I'm pretty neutral on this. Overall I'd prefer to see it stay how it is. It isn't as though training an assassin is impossible. However, if other players feel strongly about it then I don't particularly care what happens. Players will adapt to however it is configured, it just needs to be decided if the change would make monsters too easy or too hard (since it is not just Venatus that would be changed).

My suggestion would probably be to change it for a week on a trial basis so players can give more educated feedback on the change. Such a minor change wouldn't cause irreversible damage to the server and community.
/right