Make More Hats Between 2006~2010 obtainable

Accepted suggestions because we like you so much.
Elnendil
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Make More Hats Between 2006~2010 obtainable

Post by Elnendil »

I've noticed that this server sort of stuck with the original RO concept before building on it (nothing seriously custom), and i'm okay with that, but the issue comes up that a lot of hats aren't obtainable at all. Yes, some hats are used for prizes and what have you, but I think the list of hats that aren't obtainable now are a bit ridiculous. Not even the Drooping Lif Hat is obtainable, and i'm sure that came out around 2007~2008 (Although you have to say its pretty sad that there wasn't a quest for these in the first place in the original RO...).

Generally, i'm suggesting a few of these hats (doesn't have to be all, a variety is good enough, and the rest can be used for events):

Vanilmirth Hat
Drooping Lif Hat
Kettle Hat
Puppy Hat
Ribbon Hat
Balloon Hat
Drooping Nine Tail
Neck Tie
Solar Panels

Or more specifically, hats between 5219~5812 in the eAthena item_db for "More Headgears".

Personally, if anything, i'd say get the Vanilmirth Hat in. Every hat in game so far that has autocast only autocasts supportive spells, and yet there's about 5 or 6 hats that can cast offensive spells and not a single one is in game.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Re: Make More Hats Between 2006~2010 obtainable

Post by Dowe »

Links for the lazy: Ok, I can agree with a few (1-2) MAYBE being added to hat dude, but not all of them. Many of these hats have been previously made available via Gift Drop. If we make all the hats available via hat dude, then there isn't much that would be an incentive as a hat in GiftDrop.

Overall:
-1 to all of them being added
+-0 For 1 or 2
Last edited by Dowe on Fri May 14, 2010 3:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
/right
Clandestine
Marin
Marin

Post by Clandestine »

I've noticed that this server sort of stuck with the original RO concept before building on it (nothing seriously custom)
Huhh.. >__>

I agree with some being added as quests but not all too. Just a few things..

-Drooping Nine Tail[1] is already obtainable via Hat Dude
(800 Nine Tail, 1 Lemon Dyestuff, 1 Marionette Doll [1])
-A statless version of the Balloon Hat can already be obtained via donation so I doubt the stat version will be put in (which sucks because that hat is cute..qq).
Roy Revant
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Roy Revant »

The hats could be given a really hard item list to obtain, either massive amounts of a regular drop, or moderated amount of a loot from a monster with low spawn, this to balance the issue of the Giftdrop, but then again, the difficulty lvs of the quests, due to the issue of the Giftdrop, should be very high to try to avoid complains at most.

Considering how hard it is to get a Giftdrop, and how even when you do you only got 10% to actually get the headgear, well, you can already start to imagine how hard the quests would be.

But, another point of view would be that said people already had an advantage over others, by this mean, that each time a weekly headgear giftdrop is changed, it could be added as quest in maybe 30 days later, keeping the desire of obtaining the Giftdrops as you get an edge of 1 month, and keeping people interested in collecting said headgears.
Elnendil
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Elnendil »

Some statless versions are given out via donation? Ahh..not good at all. But I guess that was sort of their original intended use, although the hats were supposed to have stats on them. I'm not sure what to say to that. I can't say make the stat version obtainable from donation, though, thats a bit much. I guess via event or something?

Like I said, I didn't want all of them to be added. The issue is that despite a number of them being obtainable via GiftDrop, a lot of hats aren't obtainable period. We should make it so every hat, at the very least, is obtainable statwise one way or another.

For the original question of adding some of the hats to the Hat Dude, I suggest Vanilmirth Hat and Ribbon Hat if there can only be two. If a third can be squeezed in there, Kettle Hat. Perhaps add a few of the other hats to the GiftDrop list if they haven't already.

The statless being a donation item though...thats sort of a shot in the foot though. Its an incentive to get donations, so you're forcing yourself to never release the original unless on very rare occasions. But thats just up to you, though.
Kiana
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kiana »

As for the statless Ballon hats there is 2 colour's available via donation( White and Black), as for the Unobtainable stat'd Ballon hat that is already queued to be used in the gift drop, and also would be used in events.

All the hats eventually get used one way or another. Ribbon Hat which was requested to be implimented in the hat dude has been used on a couple of occasions, for example the KafraNapping, event also some various other events, the same for the others aswell.
Elnendil
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Elnendil »

So how long would you say a full "round" would be? This being the time it takes for all the hats that aren't obtainable to be up for grabs on random gifting? How about events?

Also, some clarification:
I've noticed that this server sort of stuck with the original RO concept before building on it (nothing seriously custom)
I said this because:

1) You don't have wings
2) You don't make new hats or equipment out of nowhere that have stats
3) You don't have new maps for MvPs or any of the sort
4) You don't have massive nerf/buff debates on skills because someone is upset they died
5) You don't seriously modify mobs or their drops to "fix the economy".

The overall design is closer to the original eAthena than it is to many other servers i've played on. Thats all.

Back to the original discussion, though, this suggestion is, mainly, for the sake of variety of in-game obtainable hats. I noticed that certain hats aren't obtainable with a certain build type in mind (a very general concept of one, not a specific one (in this case, a hybrid build, someone who gets STR+INT or INT+DEX, at the very least someone who goes for physical and magical damage in mind (Stalkers, Professors, etc)) and the only way to obtain even one of these is to wait for it to come out in a PvP event or wait for the gift NPC to choose it for that time period. I'm suggesting that this is a bit overboard, and that variety would be a nice change of pace in the Hat Dude NPC.
Kiana
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kiana »

Basicly, with the giftdrop we're coming to the point its starting to cycle back around, as you know Eathena/Gravity have alot of unobtainable hats so we update the GiftDrop on a weekly basis.
As for events, It's very random, they are used in the Forum events, , also randomly during some of the more common events such as dice, Hocus pocus, Hide and Seek, Bring Me, Etc...

As for Amistr maintaining the "Original RO concept", This is what were really aimed at. Basicly you can look at it like this, we're designed similiar to a LR, but made easier via rates, warper, healer, and a few minor customizations.

To put it bluntly a Low Rate on Steroids.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Kiana wrote:To put it bluntly a Low Rate on Steroids.
Delicious candy tasting steroids that make you feel soft and fuzzy, warm and cuddly when you take them.
/kis2 /meh2
/right
Elnendil
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Elnendil »

Basicly, with the giftdrop we're coming to the point its starting to cycle back around, as you know Eathena/Gravity have alot of unobtainable hats so we update the GiftDrop on a weekly basis.
Well, the general reason for the question was to find out the actual length of a cycle. I don't know when this cycle started.
As for Amistr maintaining the "Original RO concept", This is what were really aimed at. Basicly you can look at it like this, we're designed similiar to a LR, but made easier via rates, warper, healer, and a few minor customizations.

To put it bluntly a Low Rate on Steroids.
Well yeah. Thats why i'm not full out asking "add eveything" or make anything overly custom. Its the server's feel, and it should keep that. I am, however, asking that since there is a Hat NPC, that we should give it more variety, hence the reason for this suggestion.

So if we're talking about the Hat NPC then, what generally constitutes an entry? Should we take the weakest hat out of the list and make the better ones event/cycle entries, or..?