A truly horrific event.

Nullified suggestions are shown here. These are the denied changes.
ittykitty
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

A truly horrific event.

Post by ittykitty »

Concerning quests, and the story of the game. Earlier today (by earlier, I mean 5 mins ago) I completed a quest. Interestingly enough, the quest only rewarded me with 10x. Not only was I completely shocked, but I was also mad. Exp quests are originally intended to speed up the process of leveling, however, yours fail to speed up anything. My character was rewarded with a measly 16 mil exp, you might think this sound's like a ridiculously large amount of exp, but too me, it's not. Do you realize that this reward is less than 11 Anubi'? I assure you, 11 anubi are easier, quicker, and more effective than doing quests.
Not only does this concern leveling, but also it affects the knowledge the players have about the game. You're not asking your members to understand the story, you demanding they grind. Mindless grinding isn't my idea of fun, however, that seems to be the only thing your server offers. Of course, I can't blame the people who play the server. Who in their right mind would do a quest that takes 20 minutes, if they can kill 11 anubi in 5 mins. It's counter productive, at least in my opinion.
Salad
Poring
Poring

Re: A truly horrific event.

Post by Salad »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1047" TARGET="_blank
There's actually a topic already about this, but I agree with you thoroughly. This server is rather dull for me and frustrating at times because of some policies, and it makes me sad because I really like some other parts of it (no donation advantages, no custom items with benefits thinking they know how to balance the game).
The policies regarding "difficulty" is confusing to me, because it seems to stress on mindless grinding. How is that really fun? What's the point of even turning in exp items let alone long, drawn out quests that flesh out the story, if you can kill 5 antique firelocks or anubis for the same rewards at much less expense? The rates on official made a much bigger gap between monster experience and quest experience, and so made quests a nice change from monotonous control clicking.
I don't really see the downside in keeping quest experience high like experience rates. Based on the topic, a lot of concerns seems to be about the exp turn in items such as sharp leaves, but what's so bad about that exactly? You need to be able to kill the monsters and 50 at a time. You could argue that people can simply buy the items and thus buy free experience, but it caps out at level 86 or 87 and you would need a lot of leaves to hit that point as a transcendant character, -and- it's not uncommon practice on servers to buy a leech with zeny anyway. Is there really such a problem with leveling your character any other way than mindless grinding? You're often trading items or zeny in the process, which you had to have gotten from some sort of hard work one way or another (usually).
I realize I've gone off on a tangent about exp turn in items, but right now they are the only semi-decent "quest" experience you can find on this server, because like you say, the long quests that do flesh out the story are a waste of time and a joke as the rewards are thoroughly gimped in relative terms.
Ultimately, what is the server hoping to avoid by having 1/5 quest experience rates, is the question. Most people don't even play the game "the way it's supposed to be played" with actual parties working together, unless it's an end game area that really does require it. People milk Anubis as it's such a relatively weak mob compared to the experience rates and even tank characters on it with Yggdrasil Leaves to as high as they can go. It's monotonous, but it's often much more efficient than actually "playing the game" (which is also usually grinding), hence why quests are a nice change for the people who actually enjoy sitting through dialogue instead of clicking on monsters all the time.
I really don't see why getting to high levels faster seems to be a taboo. The higher level you are, the easier it is to kill things or more fun it is as you have more options, and thus the more monsters you hunt usually, as obtaining gears is 90% of your character anyway.
Celica
Drops
Drops

Post by Celica »

i dont see why its so surprising when everywhere you look about the server it says its 10x. they made a shortcut to the page even @ http://info.amistr.net" TARGET="_blank. should have read first before complaining later.

ragnarok is a grinding game. dunno what else you were expecting.

other than that- if they increased the quest experience more, the leveling here would be easy to do with 4 turn-ins of the repeatable quests and not doing any of the other quests at all: http://www.roproject.net/wiki/index.php ... EXP_Quests" TARGET="_blank. its easy enough. most ppl reach 99 in less than a week or even a day with the current settings.

tbh ppl coming to a server and complaining about rates and expecting change after a server has been established for months are the unreasonable ones. its fine to suggest things ya but to completely revise what everyone else had already built upon is messed up.

dunno abt u tho but id rather hunt monsters my level to get my gear -while leveling- too and not wait until 99 to farm gear.
Last edited by Celica on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

Ridiculous.

You do the single-time quests for their story elements and/or nostalgia's sake, not for insta-leveling to 99. The fact you can say "only 16 mill" with a straight face is literally hilarious.

The only reason one can complain about the "grind" is if they do so inefficiently and poorly, and this comes from someone with 27+ characters. The fact the both of you praise Anubis so highly when there's far superior options by now excluding easy tank & leech operations demonstrates this for me. Try a low rate and tell me 50x takes you ages to level up within.

It appears as though you are merely utilizing the "story" (convulsive though it may be) of Ragnarok as thinly veiled justification for a 5~10 minute quest that rewards you with 20+ levels, if you had it your way.

-26,000, and may the Ragnarok gods have mercy on your soul.
MayChan
Poporing
Poporing

Post by MayChan »

I honestly agree with Celica and Hael, there's no point of complaining about a server that has been like this for 6 months or more, over exp quest that has and will stay final as 10x exp quest. Ragnarok is about grinding, and it doesn't have to BE mindless grinding if you make it interesting and have fun with it. I've been here for a couple of months and I've done grinding in groups and raids of friends or new people. It's only mindless if you make it mindless yourself. You came to this server, because you like how it was or what you saw, if you didn't see what the quest exp on the forums and complain or ask for changes that's your own fault and it's not going to change.

My own experience with this 10x quest exp reward, I thought I would get some exp if I did one of the quest, as I being High Priest level 98. I did the quest and got like 1.00%, I just laughed, it's not really a big deal. Though that was my own fault since I was level 98 and trans, either way it was WAY lower exp than I thought it would be.

I mean look at the sharp leaf quest, that gives you full levels up to 86. That's pretty good in my opinion and you're leveling in the process of hunting these leaves.

Clandestine
Marin
Marin

Post by Clandestine »

We should just remove the quests so people stop qq'ing about the exp rates. Hurrrhur ;>
Rhyo
Poring
Poring

Post by Rhyo »

Haelstrom wrote:(convulsive though it may be)
COOL MISUSE OF THE WORD "CONVULSIVE"

PS ITS CONVOLUTED
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

Rhyo wrote:COOL MISUSE OF THE WORD "CONVULSIVE"

PS ITS CONVOLUTED
Cool story Death Note brah, but when you correct someone's word usage, you may want to make sure the message you do it in has no mistakes. Id est It's*. Also, convoluted would imply it's twisted or overly complicated, where as I'm referring to it as a frantic and absurd grasp at unnecessary EXP. You must learn the English you speak maen.

Off-topic aside, you should've chose Light so the low quality QQ was at least able to be followed up by a "Just as planned" poster.
Rhyo
Poring
Poring

Post by Rhyo »

ok first off

how about you say that to my face. NOT ONLINE, and see what happens.

secondly, that was a pretty frantic and absurd grasp at unnecessary saving face. I'd sooner describe the RO story as convoluted than convulsive (how is it a FRANTIC AND ABSURD grasp at something)

thirdly, your wrong, L is pretty much the most epic thing to ever grace animes. comparing him to light is like comparing a a stained wad of toilet paper to the Gettysburg Address.
Kiana
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kiana »

Please stay on topic, or this thread will be locked and denied.