Let's improve non-custom quest-obtained hats

Nullified suggestions are shown here. These are the denied changes.
Moonglow
Poring
Poring

Let's improve non-custom quest-obtained hats

Post by Moonglow »

There are a lot of headgear quests in the game that have been in the game for years, but no one ever goes through the trouble for because their stats suck.

Let's take the Model Training Hat as an example. To make one requires two items that drop at a pretty low rate from monsters, one of which is the Apple of Archer which has nice stats on its own. The result? A hat with less dexterity than an Apple of Archer, but two more defense. The trade-off makes this hat hardly worth the trouble, especially now that the Ulle's Cap has been added to the game.

My suggestion is to improve quest-obtained headgears so that the reward actually makes doing the quest worth it. So the way I would change the Model Training Hat is I would make it slotted but keep the same stats. The stats still wouldn't be as good as those of a Ulle's Cap, but the reward would be more proportionate to the amount of effort required to make the hat.

Some other examples of quest-obtained hats that have no slots and no stats except for a meager amount of defense:

Heart Hairpin
Cresent Hairpin (Yes, it's spelled that way)
Flower Hairpin
Hell, most of the hairpins
Fashionable Glasses
Antlers
Stop Post
Teddybear Hat
Red Bonnet
Sunday Hat

Okay, I'm not going to list all of them, but I think you get the idea. So what do you guys think?
Muffin
Drops
Drops

Re: Let's improve non-custom quest-obtained hats

Post by Muffin »

No.

Gravity knew these hats weren't SUPER AWESOME WOE GEAR.

They're for show. Because it gives players something to do, and a large majority of RO players DO hunt these hats just as a hobby, or they think it's cute, etc.

P.S. Look up what the Model Training Hat does now on officials when worn with the Well Chewed Pencil.
Moonglow
Poring
Poring

Post by Moonglow »

I'm talking about for this server. I know iRO is different. This is a private server that doesn't seem averse to the idea of looking cute and being useful at the same time.

I realize that most of the people on the server that still play participate in WoE, but it's still rather short-sighted to assume that an update like this would only affect WoE.

To go into more detail about just how much of an improvement I envision these headgears receiving, I'm thinking of one stat point and a slot, or a few stat points and no slot, maybe more or less depending on the difficulty of the quest. Randomizing the stats is another option, but I don't know how that would be done.
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Post by Phaiyte »

heeeeeeelllll naw.
I snap in, I snap out, and blow Crap up.
This ain't happenin' bud.
Aside from warping and healers,
I completely disown anything that's not in the actual game that has any kind of use.
No sir.
Last edited by Kiana on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language
Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops.

To be the hero is all I'll ask.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

I can understand the suggestion, but people would still use the same gear unless the new changes made the headgear stronger then their current. If you want the sprite for the hats, then make a suggestion to the GMs and maybe there will be a custom hat in that sprite, but otherwise I think it would be a largely pointless change.

Although not everyone makes the hats, there are some who do because they like them for their sprites and not their stats.
/right
Muffin
Drops
Drops

Post by Muffin »

Basically, kid. Why would we edit the stats of existing items? That just seems so...dirty. This isn't a 1000x server with max levels in the 100s. Game breaking? No. But still not a good idea.
Sythis
Drops
Drops

Post by Sythis »

I am gonna have to disagree with this as well. The only real reason for hats like that in the first place is PURELY for looks only. Or they would have made said hats have higher demand in them. If you want them for their stats, There is much, much better gear out there for you to use. And if you don't like the way those hats look on you. There are events everyday that reward players with Stat less, multi-colored, sync able hats.
Mitsuo
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Mitsuo »

no. Their for show and just for the hell of it. Their not meant for actual use.