Final Fantasy XIII

Talk about your other favorite games like Barbie Adventures.
Knightmare
Drops
Drops

Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Knightmare »

Hi. Since I heard that some of the players on Amistr have FFXIII, I think we can discuss the "awesomeness" of the game here.

As a background, I'm Knightmare, a Final Fantasy addict since 2005. Played every game, except 11 and the sequels/prequels, by sequels/prequels, I mean the likes of Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus", "Final Fantasy XII:Revenant Wings" and the like. I was one of the 500 nerds who first finished FFXIII. Completed it in a week (Too long for a Final Fantasy game in my opinion) and for that, I got the Final Fantasy elixir and some action figures!

Advertisement: Final Fantasy Elixir, it cures cancer. It cures everything.

Anyway, since I finished it, I have the privilege to review the actual game!

As part of the review, I judge a game by four factors: Gameplay, Audio, Graphics and Story/Characters. So, please take time in reading them all. /gg2

Posting from Wikipedia, The plot of Final Fantasy XIII takes place in a world known as Pulse and revolves around the story of the fal'Cie (ファルシ, farushi?) (pronounced /ˈfælsiː "fal see"/), mechanical beings with godlike power created by a being called the Maker. Each fal'Cie has crystals residing inside them. People who are marked by the fal'Cie are called l'Cie (ルシ, rushi?). Each l'Cie has a Focus, a goal the fal'Cie wants him or her to fulfill within a certain amount of time; however, the fal'Cie do not explicitly say what the goal is: l'Cie learn what their Focus is by interpreting visions that are given to them. L'Cie gain the ability to summon Eidolons (monsters who fight with the l'Cie), but this ability comes with a price: if a l'Cie dies before completing his or her Focus, fails to tame his or her Eidolon, or fails to complete his or her Focus within a set period of time, he or she becomes a monster known as a Cie'th (シ骸, shigai?, Cie Corpse in the japanese version). If a l'Cie does complete his or her Focus, the reward is not much better: permanent transformation into a crystal. For this reason, being chosen as a l'Cie is seen as a curse.

Gamewise. The battle system was awesome, especially the combo stacking. /drool By far one of the best innovations in the Final Fantasy series. I can't help but have this feeling of excitement whenever I walk by enemies. FYI, monsters are like the ones in FFXII, they roam around the field and you get to engage them if you choose to confront them. Unlike the major reviewers, I actually don't have a problem with the linear nature of the game, since it is a RPG game. All in all, my rating would be 5/5. /awsm

Audio, was good. Some tracks were so powerful you get to worry whether you are on the right place or not. x_x But then again, there a few that sound like recycled versions of previous soundtracks. If you played the games, you could tell which one was from 6 and 7 *cough* I don't wanna give the spoiler *cough*. Anyway, I miss Nobuo Uematsu (original composer of the series), he's a god. 4/5.

Graphics. GAWD, I got nothing to tell. BEST 3D GAME SO FAR IN TERMS OF GRAPHICS. 5/5 /awsm

Story and characters. According to the official gaming magazines and reviewers, the characters were god damn bad asses. I certainly agree! Lightning is so pretty and smexy, and Snow was cool and badass. But then again, what happened to Kain and Kefka-type of characters? Aren't they the true examples of what Final Fantasy characters would be? Just my opinion, ever since Hironobu Sakaguchi (creator of the series) left, characters seemed to devolve into combined and reused versions of the previous games. Anyway, who would have thought of that.

Story was good, but definitely ain't the best. All in all, 8/10.

So, my review score is, *drum roll*: /!

22/25!
POSITIVE. /$ Image

So yeah, Final Fantasy XIII. Definitely one of the best RPGs out there, but sadly, not of the FF series. The game has a lot of potential, and if you are a first time player of the Final Fantasy series, you'd definitely appreciate the milestones it has achieved. But then again, if you had played every single previous Final Fantasy, there's this something missing that satisfies our "Final Fantasy" thirst of gaming. I dunno, but I think that's the mutual bond that develops between the game and the player when one plays the game. XIII doesn't have the power and charisma of Final Fantasy 7, and the story of Final Fantasy IV and VI. (VI and VII are the best in my opinion) But then again (again), how could we appreciate XIII when we're all stuck waiting and expecting it to be another 6 or 7? /heh

All in all, one badass game that would bring you to the edge of gaming. /gg2

Cheers to Square Enix for another wonderful gaming experience!

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUSBEVRLng

Disclaimer: All the contents are product of the author's mind. Anything that is posted does not reflect the actual likeness of the game and it's creators.
Last edited by Knightmare on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polynomial - High Wizard
Reaver - Money Maker
Kiana
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Kiana »

Moved to the proper forum.
Knightmare
Drops
Drops

Post by Knightmare »

Ooops, sorry. /ok

Polynomial - High Wizard
Reaver - Money Maker
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Post by Phaiyte »

I sincerely hope no one's playing it using a 360.
The game got raped because nothing would fit on the disc.
Dual-layer blu-ray is going places.
DVD Roms are just not anymore.
So half the content was taken out and it looks like shit.
Good thing I'm not some retarded 360 fanboy and got a ps3 instead.
Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops.

To be the hero is all I'll ask.
Knightmare
Drops
Drops

Post by Knightmare »

Yep, I venerate Sony as well. Actually, I bought PS3 because of Final Fantasy XIII and MGS4. /gg2

There's this game that's part of the Fabula Novula Crystallis Final Fantasy Compilation(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabula_Nov ... ntasy_XIII), called Final Fantasy Versus XIII(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_fantasy_versus_xiii), due to be released this 2010. I hope it's good if not better, since the trailer boasts total awesomeness. x_x

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cWU-M9EpEg

Polynomial - High Wizard
Reaver - Money Maker
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Post by GDRAGON »

I hate how the gameplay is so... straight forward. I want to be able to move around and explore places like maybe world maps, or go back to places that I've been to, like older Final Fantasies. I actually thought the story was great. However, the difficulty seems to be way too easy. I basically ran through the first 10 chapters without really trying at all. Great game though. 9/10.
Knightmare
Drops
Drops

Post by Knightmare »

Yeah. The linear nature, and haven't anyone noticed how the camera angles fail? -_-

Polynomial - High Wizard
Reaver - Money Maker
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Post by Phaiyte »

Yeah, the camera blows big black ones in some places,
but I got it working pretty good with my set up.

I think I just started chapter 11?
Just landed on Gran Purge and they lost Hope.
I was too tired to keep going a couple days ago lol.
Since then I haven't been able to play.
Been working and playing ITG and Soul Silver the whole time since.
Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops.

To be the hero is all I'll ask.