Another "AHHHGGGG."

For those that want people to know they're leaving.. for some reason.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Another "AHHHGGGG."

Post by Dowe »

This could be a few hours, this could be months - but Haelstrom Dowe is gone.Why? Not of my choice.

...Wait... let me re-phrase that. I am going to be cutting down on my game hours for a while.

In short, my laptop's CPU and Motherboard have fried itself and I can either send it to dell to be replaced and buy new parts, or buy a new laptop. Essentially I dislike Dell's customer support, so I will be buying a new laptop instead. It would cost a fair amount to get it fixed and it wouldn't surprise me if some other hardware components die in the near future if i had it fixed anyway.

I was hoping to get another year out of my laptop and planned to buy a desktop computer instead, but for now my plan is to buy a $700-$1000 laptop which will last until the end of my University course and might buy a Desktop at some stage later then anticipated.

Some of you may know, I have other computers to use so you will still see me on... but I have quite a few assignments due this week and next week anyway so I'm taking the opportunity to complete them first.

So in my closing argument, I pass to you these words of wisdom: "Don't buy Dell computers".

Hope to see you all soon.
/right
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Re: Another "AHHHGGGG."

Post by Phaiyte »

Anyone that spends more than $700 on even current top of the line setups is a blatant fool.
That's of course the whole thing not including a monitor, mouse, or keyboard.

Just throwing that out there so you don't waste about $300 or so.
Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops.

To be the hero is all I'll ask.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

I'm looking at a laptop that will cost me about $1050 all up, but it comes with a complete 3 year warranty. My alternate choice is about $750 but is no where near as nice and only a 12 month warranty ($150 extra for a 2 year warranty at one of the places I was looking at /bzz). No doubt ill find something cheaper soon.

All I want it to do is last another 2 years max and I will be rarely ever using it again (or probably not at all). After I'm finished uni I'll probably be selling or giving it to my dad, depending on its condition.

Also these are AUS$. $600 computer from the US equals about $850-900 here or sometimes more :(. I've been looking around and the cheapest ones that meet my needs are unfortunately $600 - $900, but the 3 year warranty caught my attention (laptops aren't exactly reliable at the best of times). Anything else I'd essentially compare to being an electronic brick (although I don't plan to play resource intensive games, I still need something half decent since I do quite a lot with it). I plan to be looking around for a few more days for a good price, so I wont be rushing into it.

Anyway, at least I'm not posting from a Wii, so I don't have much to complain about.
/right
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

Dell is the Devil. May your path be lined with gold and chicken.
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Post by Phaiyte »

If you HAVE to go with a BRANDED laptop, go with Toshiba.

dual core 4.0 ghz each,
4 gigs or RAM,
preinstalled windows 7 64-bit,
500 gig HDD,
decent video card(don't know the name),
doesn't overheat,
4 hour battery life while using intensively,
1 yr warranty,
pretty tough outer shell,
stainless steel keyboard keys(ORGASM ON MY FINGERS),
looks fuckin' sweet,
19 inch screen,
outputs close to 1920 x 1080 resolution
HDMI output(sure why not lol)
4 usb slots,
still somehow fits in my backpack even though it's kinda big.(thin, but perimetrically large)

It's great and I found it for just 500 US dollars.
That's probably be around what? 650 aussie munnies?
Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops.

To be the hero is all I'll ask.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Know the model number? That does quite seem... right /heh

I was looking at Acers (not exclusively), but Toshiba's were also a consideration.

Also, thanks Hael for the Golden Chicken blessing.
/right