War with Generals Event

Ran
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

War with Generals Event

Post by Ran »

This was my favorite event on the first server I ever played:

The GMs were each a "General" and the players were all "Soldiers" in their armies. The GMs took turns choosing players until no players were left. Then the GMs commanded their armies with tactics, directing them where to go and who to target first. On a large map, all (four GMs so four armies) the armies were released at once for a free for all battle. The last army standing received a reward.

You could narrow the amount of people in the army down by splitting up the last army again and having another battle.

This was so fun was because we were forced to ally with different characters than we normally would. I was also part of the victorious army, so I got a cute -but useless- headgear out of it.

~Drink in my hand and my heart on the dance-floor~
MayChan
Poporing
Poporing

Re: War with Generals Event

Post by MayChan »

That sounds really fun xD that'd be a fun event to do :o
Muffin
Drops
Drops

Post by Muffin »

I love the idea, but I'd propose the the teams be random.
Midnight
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Midnight »

That sounds fun, but I know it will be a hassle to keep the people calm while we set it up. xD
Ran
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Ran »

Yeah it would require a lot of prep-work. I was thinking you could do a mini event while everyone is waiting.

Randomized armies would be fun also.

The prep took a long time, but it was completely worth it!

~Drink in my hand and my heart on the dance-floor~
Mitsuo
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Mitsuo »

Sounds like a event on a dead server I played on. 2 GMs would make guilds and invite people into them and then have the guilds battle over a castle. I forget the details of it because I never actually got to play them because they would always do the events when I was at work! /bzz
PerfectDeath
Drops
Drops

Post by PerfectDeath »

Yea, on gRO there was a similar event to this, its what Mits is referring to. I got to be a GM for one army. The prep time took FOREVER!!!

Basically GMs would tell players to go (one by one) to a gathering point for their army, when you have 40+ people participating it took around or over 30min...

The players on my team had a good time cause I decided to role play as a Warhammer 40k Orc Warboss!! We wuz da boyz and we wuz da strongest!!!!

You could make it more stream line through something similar to the Battle Grounds (BGs) but have one NPC randomly(or procedurally) send players into their team's waiting room to keep teams from being stacked.
CheckPoint: "Die Fould Creature"
Healstrom: "What makes you think its foul?"
CheckPoint: "Its Black."
Sythis
Drops
Drops

Post by Sythis »

I do recall have doing an event like this before. The only down side to it was the long time it took to set it up. Also when people had been asked to join. That said person would ask the GM to invite one of their friends or allys. thus turning it into pretty much a guild vs guild event. But that was then. All you have to do to fix that is make the GM's ignore all suggestions from the already invited players. It does have potential to be fun. Aside from the long set up time. Would be wroth it to try it once.
PiraNja
Drops
Drops

Post by PiraNja »

On a suggestion to this event.
The long wait time seems to be a major issue with most, but what if there were things introduced to ease it?
Could have the GM's choose their teams in their GM-guild-chat right after portals to the event close.

While they do so something else could be going on to keep players busy?
Maybe that Aldebaran race track or a survival labyrinth or something of the sort, where not much supervision is needed ((i.e. the race track announces it's winner, in a survival labyrinth you see which corpse lies the furthest) the winner of that would only get a minor reward, maybe unable to choose their prize.

When the GM's would be done choosing they'd announce everyone they chose and everyone chosen then comes to their side? Or something, I dunno.

Either way, I'd enjoy seeing this event~
Fey
Drops
Drops

Post by Fey »

You'd have to sign an no-whine liability release before participating. If it was random, some team could be (god forbid) imbalanced or something. But I really do like this idea. It's kind of like battlegrounds except you don't choose what happens. Maybe it'd have to be no prizes or very small prizes..

As far as the time/registration thing goes, have people @request to join and then have the GM check their level/class with @who and pick them that way? Maybe.
Maidei - 96/something gypsy
Feyuda - 99/50 Taekwon Ranker
Feyr - 99/69 High Priest
Aelia - 85/something Lord Knight
And anything else with "Fey" in the name.