Automated Events

Kale Knikker
Poring
Poring

Automated Events

Post by Kale Knikker »

Hey all,

I have been playing on this server for a few months now and I noticed that there aren't that many events. For as far as I've noticed only one each day. I personally like events a lot because they are an opportunity to get items that you can't normally loot and it's nice to do something else for a change. Another problem for me is that most of the events are held on American times. I'm from Holland and I know that there are actually a lot of dutch people on this server, but I almost never see an event being held at normal European times. Most of the time an event is held at 02:00 or 03:00 in GMT+1. This is a bit unfair to people from other time zones I think, because we have a smaller chance of getting custom hats or other items, unless you really have no life outside of RO -.-'
I know that there can't always be a gm online so that's why I would like to suggest implementing automated events to the server. You could implement a Token system for price rewards or just zenny or random items. I would suggest to make the custom headgears only a reward in gm controlled events, otherwise they would become easy to get or common.

Here are some examples:

Devil Square:
This event can be set to start like every two or three hours. People can enter it after they paid a certain amount of zenny and then face three rounds of monsters, including some MvP's. Once you go out of the event you can't get back in so you'll have to survive the entire event to get a price. Minimum base lvl to enter is set to 70. There are some variations between servers. Most use a limited amount of players entering Devil Square of 10, but if you find that it's to hard to win the event you could enlarge that limited amount of players. What prices you want to give for winning the event is up to you, in the original script it's treasure box for as far as I know, but I also played it on a server that gave people a choice between a random amount of zenny (ofcourse with a max limit) or a random amount of Tokens (also limited) but since this server doesn't have a Token system that would have to be something else.

Maze Event:
Can start every two hour or something like that. Anyone can join, no max players limit. People will have to race against eachother in the maze map. You have to go through the warp portals to get to the middle part where an NPC is standing that gives a random reward. The warp portals teleport you randomly to another one, so it the class dominance wouldn't be that big of a deal since the warp portals are random. Again prices could be Tokens if you use a Token system or a random item. As long as the prizes aren't overpowered and the rates of getting a good item are low the event won't become overpowered. I always liked this event because you don't have to wait around all the time like in the Hocus Pocus or Mafia event.
Maze map.gif
Town Invasion:
In this event a random town (with exclusion of the main town) will be invaded by random monsters and an (event) MvP. Other players will have to go to the town and kill the monsters and MvP. If you don't want towns to be unreachable because of strong monsters you can exclude more towns or just pick one town that isn't used a lot by players and let that one get invaded all the time. This event can occur once a day or every 3 hours or more, but not too often.

MvP Ladder:
This one can be done whenever you want to join by talking to the MvP Ladder NPC in town and paying a certain amount of zenny. A party can join the event, they will face a lot of MvP's in rounds. They won't drop items or give exp (if I remember correctly). They will start with the easiest MvP and it get's harder and harder each round. After every round players receive Tokens if you have a Token system or zenny, the amount will enlarge every round. Only one party can join at the time, but most won't survive that long inside the event.

These are my favourite events. I'd bet other people might have more suggestions.
The scripts for most of these events are easy to find online.

Let me know what you think of it^^

Cya!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ginerio
Poring
Poring

Re: Automated Events

Post by Ginerio »

Those are some nice events! I am also from the Netherlands and I have to agree with Kale that there are barely events when I'm online. (Even I need my sleep)

As he suggested a token system would be a nice thing to add to the server. This also makes items like battle manuals, convex mirrors and bubble gum available. This ofcourse for a lot of tokens, you'd have to be good to get these items and win at least a couple of events to get these.

The MVP-ladder is especially nice since you can do it with a party of your own choice and just have some fun with friends. There are some more rules to it than Kale mentioned. Once you leave you can't go back. This means you need a lot of yggdrasil berries or an sp slave-high priest combo to get champions their sp back (you are killing MVPs and it's hard to beat a champ with that) Also only 1 party is allowed at a time.

These events are really worth to think about, it's nice to have some (automated) events when you don't live in the part of the world where the gms live.
Kiana
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kiana »

They may not be automated, but there are tons of activities players can take part in, for example, Bomberman, Dota PvP, Guitar Hero, King of the Hill, Protect the V.I.P, and Poring Ball.
These can all be found in the Warper under Mini-games.

As for the ones youve mentioned, I have been personally looking into some automated events, but most people had informed me they prefered GM hosted events, which we have 3+ a day each with 3 rounds mininum.

If anyone finds anything inresting they would like added to Amistr or makes anything, please submit them in the public developement section on the forums, we are always intrested.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

I essentially made this same proposal a while ago. My thread was merged with another though (and to me the other seems irrelevant). Anyway:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=595#p6376
/right
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

The posts were merged since both threads were about a mini-game reward system and expanded mini-games -- not necessarily automated events.
Suggestion to implement a point/in game currency system, awarded through events and custom quests which can be traded in for things like ...hats. This was a feature from my last server which I think worked really well. (Those hats however, were not statless so... ymmv)
Ok, well I heard Kiana considering a mini-game token reward system to be implemented providing it is done right. Anyway, I said at the time I had tonnes of mini-game ideas that could be implemented and sadly I delayed in my post and have forgotten most of them
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

What I would like to see in this thread is ideas for mini-games.
This thread is not concerned with the prizes associated with said games, only the games them self.
/right
Ginerio
Poring
Poring

Post by Ginerio »

Kiana wrote:As for the ones youve mentioned, I have been personally looking into some automated events, but most people had informed me they prefered GM hosted events, which we have 3+ a day each with 3 rounds mininum.
It's not about the amount of events but the times they are held. The only way I can participate in an event is if I stay online till 3-4 am
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Well in their defense, there is a European event's GM.
Jekyll: Support GM, Event Coordinator, Bot Hunter
Name: Jekyll
Language(s): English, Dutch
Source: http://contact.amistr.net/

I'm not entirely sure about the whole event setup though, since I live in the opposite timezone.
/right
Kale Knikker
Poring
Poring

Post by Kale Knikker »

I understand that most people prever GM hosted events over automated events (I do too) but at least a small one like the Maze event would be fun. I'm not suggesting to replace the GM hosted events with automated events. My experience is that most online ppl will join such an automated event, even if you get prices like obb/opb most of the time (which aren't very good). Or you could make the reward random with a very very low chance of getting the NPC: GiftDrop headgear of the week if you win and other rewards like obb/opb with a very high chance too stimulate participation. Ofcourse the event can't be held too often a day then and there can't be too many automated events with these rewards, but it's only a suggestion. The problem now is that not everyone has a fair chance of participating in a GM hosted event. But if you won't implement automated events, could you at least try to host (GM hosted) events at more fixed times and spread them out throughout the day a bit more so that everyone has a fair chance?

Offtopic (sorry couldn't post in the Approved section): Btw I read your topic on creating a point system and I just want to add the MvP Ladder to the list of Mini-Games for points. It was a big hit on the server I played before this one. Especially since most parties won't make it till the end of the ladder. It will also stimulate party creation and it's a fun guild activity. Also it's a good way to test your build/party against an MvP. (I know about the test server but the MvP Warper sends you to a random MvP if I'm correct and in MvP Ladder you face fixed MvP's, so you know who you're up against)
Ginerio
Poring
Poring

Post by Ginerio »

Kale Knikker wrote:Offtopic (sorry couldn't post in the Approved section): Btw I read your topic on creating a point system and I just want to add the MvP Ladder to the list of Mini-Games for points. It was a big hit on the server I played before this one. Especially since most parties won't make it till the end of the ladder. It will also stimulate party creation and it's a fun guild activity. Also it's a good way to test your build/party against an MvP. (I know about the test server but the MvP Warper sends you to a random MvP if I'm correct and in MvP Ladder you face fixed MvP's, so you know who you're up against)
The MVP warper lets you choose a MVP to fight. MVP Ladder gives you the different MVPs in a fixed order.