Controlled pvp

Hedus
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Controlled pvp

Post by Hedus »

Controlled PvP is great for battling when you want to use your class skillfully to beat someone without spamming pots and using multiclient linking and buffing to win.

Controlled PvP removes buffs on entry and does not allow links or healing items.

If put in it would have to be the first choice on the PvP room list, as people usually go to the first room. However, those who love to link and pot spam each other can always choose the second on the list.

Some reasons why controlled pvp is good:
-Duel clienting is useless. In normal PvP, you pretty much must duel client or someone else who does duel client will come in with assumptio + link and you have no chance.
-Allows a real battle of skill. With no pots and buffs, you have to actually use your character skillfully in order to win.
-Awesome party battles(it requires a good priest and avoiding damage, since you cant use healing items).
-Better for people who pass time in pvp. There are no people coming in with overpowered buffs on while they are buffless and helpless since they were already in pvp without their duel client buffs on them.

That last point is one reason why this is best put as the first option for a PvP room. People who pass time in
PvP are better to be in this version. Whereas those who just stop in now and then so they can abuse Duel client to raid PvP can no longer pray on poor innocent non buffed players... They must actually go in and kill someone fairly. Sucks for them yes, but it seems better on the whole.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Controlled pvp

Post by Koma »

This is actually something that is possible to implement, considering that we have the map restrictions already in place from the original PvP Competition we held back on Crescendo. However, that would require some tweaking so there is an alternative method that comes to mind.

The main thing though would be, which map(s) would you like? I would prefer any map set aside for this purpose be properly cloned so as not to interfere with any of the current maps we're using. Also, having too many maps could distract from the rooms getting bigger.

What skills in particular would you disable?

The current list of items that are disabled for Zone 5 (PVP) are as follows and should support this pretty well..it may be a little outdated though:
Red Potion
Orange Potion
Yellow Potion
White Potion
Blue Potion
Red Herb
Yellow Herb
White Herb
Blue Herb
Apple
Banana
Grape
Carrot
Potato
Meat
Honey
Milk
Hinalle Leaflet
Aloe Leaflet
Mastela Fruit
Royal Jelly
Monster Food
Candy
Candy Cane
Apple Juice
Banana Juice
Grape Juice
Carrot Juice
Pumpkin
Ice Cream
Pet Food
Well Baked Cookie
Piece of Cake
Falcon food
Peco Peco food
Festival Cookie
Festival Rainbow Cake
Raw Fish
Condensed Red Potion
Condensed Yellow Potion
Condensed White Potion
Cheese
Yam
Rice Cake
Sushi
Ketupat
Bao
Mochi
Traditional Rice Cake
Rice Cake Stick
Neatly Sliced Rice Cake
Chocolate
Hand-made Chocolate
Hand-made White Chocolate
White Chocolate
Doublecrust Swiss Fondue
Doublecrust Swiss Fondue
Rice Ball
Vita500
Tom Yum Goong
Shrimp
Lemon
Novice Potion
Lucky Candy
Lucky Candy Cane
Lucky Cookie
Chocolate Drink
Egg
2nd Anniversary Cake
Prickly Fruit
Bag of Grain
Strawberry
Fresh Fish
Bread
Edible Mushroom
Orange
Ketupat
Skewer Soup
Brusti
Mother's Cake
Red Thorn Fruit
Spaghetti
Pizza
Brezel
Fly Wing
Butterfly Wing
Hedus
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Hedus »

Map wise, some that I like are good old izlude, guild_v3, and guild_v1.

I don't know every healing item, but I think Ygg seed/berry should probably be added to the list.
A note about item restriction: Careful of merchants trying to sneak pots in with their carts :P

I'm not big on disabling skills, rather just removing buffs on entry and outlawing soul linkers :)

And for some lovely screenshots of the maps:

guild_v3
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2573/s ... ade029.jpg

guild_v1
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/619/ ... ade028.jpg
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

There's no worry about them sneaking in items. That map restriction zone setting is so that you can't even use an item even if you have it on a map -- such as not being able to use Fly Wings in Aldebaran's Turbo Track and Izlude's Battle Arena. It's also directly related to blocking skills like what is used in town.

So what you're saying is that Heal skills are permitted then, just not buffs?
Hedus
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Hedus »

Oh, no I didn't mean NO buffs. I meant removed on entry so that you can't come in already with buffs.

i DO mean outlaw soul linkers...

But priests are fine. They are very useful and make for some fun party battles. Just this way the people come in with no buffs, so if they want buffs, they actually need a real priest to come help them, not a duel cliented slave...

The only skill i see being a problem is potion pitcher, just for the whole creator style of letting hom kill people while you potion pitch spam.

BTW, most of what I am suggest is from FrozenGladeRO. They have had this PvP system for a long time, and long since mastered it. Most of my PvP fun has come from there. That server is all about getting gear, and Woeing/PvPing with it.
Leet Feet
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Leet Feet »

One idea that might be fun in the controlled PvP is WoE reducs. Just an idea and some brain food
Valorous
Drops
Drops

Post by Valorous »

don't disable links
minzo
Marin
Marin

Post by minzo »

1 pvp arena with no pots and 1 with pots I say
Schnack
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Schnack »

I completely agree.
Sarin
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Sarin »

I'm for such thing, but there are some problems...

Foodstuff. PvP/WoE chars are often made dependant on them-for example they need str, dex or int food to get to next atk/matk bonus. I think there should be an exception for these in debuffing, so they won't be used for heal but will stay if used before entering PvP.
Some skills. If this arena is supposed to be the show of players' skills, some character skills should be disabled, as their damage is I think designed for WoE. It takes zero skill to kill someone using EDP, Asura or AD. I can already hear SinX whine, but I've played it for long time, and never needed to use EDP or link at no-pot PvP. Every class affected by that has other ways, and they can do without these too powerful skills.