Bomberman Event

Anything related to your server.
Zzz
Poring
Poring

Bomberman Event

Post by Zzz »

Hello everyone. I was playing the server last night and something that I (personally) consider unfair happened and would like the opinions of others. I would appreciate it if you refrain yourselves from flaming in this topic.

So, the 2nd round of the Bomberman event was rolling normally. Poring bombs spawned. These mobs explode after being hit. The objective of the event is to survive the longest. I was playing and it came up to the last four surviving players, in which I was one of them. If the surviving players didn't kill all the Poring bombs in 2 minutes, more poring bombs would be summoned. Eventually, it would get to 3 aggro mobs in addition to poring bombs. When it came to that, my strategy was to stay off the radar for a little while so that others could get the aggro from the mobs. Three bats were summoned and everyone else died. I was the last standing novice and eventually died by the bats. The GM (Hazel) decided that the bats were unfair and that a rematch between the last two survivors must take place. I lost the rematch.

Do you think it's fair? I believe It's unreasonable to not be counted as the winner, when I had an equal chance of getting aggro from those bats. It was unfair because, if there was going to be a rematch, it should have been between the last four survivors (counting everyone who died by the bats), or the original match (which I believe I won fairly) should be counted.

The event was counted null and nobody received any prize.

I would like opinions on this whether you think it's fair or not and why. Like I said, please moderate yourselves when answering. If I didn't explain myself clear enough, please tell me which part you didn't understand and I will do my best to clarify it for you.
Hali
Drops
Drops

Re: Bomberman Event

Post by Hali »

What exactly do you mean with 'I was the last standing novice and eventually died by the bats.' ? Did you die or not?

I didn't take part at this events but I know the Last Man Standing one, and I know it requires alot of skill to survive while being mobbed. But, I also know it's not the easiest job for a GM to decide fair for everyone, there's always anyone complaining. You shouldn't bother too much about one lost prize. Also, Hazel wanted to talk with you after, maybe you should've talked to her right after at the first place.

There's no point in whining about how the event goes for you. It's much about luck, so if you lose (even tho it seemed to go well for you first), tough luck!
Hazel just wants to make the event going well for everyone and I think it's more unfair towards her to take advantage of her generous attitude, since he's barely muting or warning anyone of the guys that complained (especially in true or false events), but rather giving those persons a second chance to win in a maybe more fair round.

Maybe Hazel was wrong with redoing the last round, but I think she learned that now and is gonna be more consistent with the following events.

Also I wanna ask every guy that complained or felt discriminated: do you really wanna risk to annoy Hazel and her cool new events away and do you only wanna have Dice and Hocus Pocus forever again ?
What I'm saying is, be fine with how it is and participate next time. Maybe next time it goes better for you.

Find something to live for,
and protect it.
Zzz
Poring
Poring

Post by Zzz »

Hali wrote:What exactly do you mean with 'I was the last standing novice and eventually died by the bats.' ? Did you die or not?
I mean that I was the last one to die. Everyone else died before me.
Hali wrote:I didn't take part at this events but I know the Last Man Standing one, and I know it requires alot of skill to survive while being mobbed. But, I also know it's not the easiest job for a GM to decide fair for everyone, there's always anyone complaining. You shouldn't bother too much about one lost prize. Also, Hazel wanted to talk with you after, maybe you should've talked to her right after at the first place.
I should bother about a lost prize in which I believe I won fair and square. Otherwise, why should I give my support to a server that is not impartial. Now, let's not jump into conclusions, shall we? I did talk to Hazel right after the event and that's how I got to the decision that the round was null.
Hali wrote:There's no point in whining about how the event goes for you. It's much about luck, so if you lose (even tho it seemed to go well for you first), tough luck!
Hazel just wants to make the event going well for everyone and I think it's more unfair towards her to take advantage of her generous attitude, since he's barely muting or warning anyone of the guys that complained (especially in true or false events), but rather giving those persons a second chance to win in a maybe more fair round.
Whining? That's just insulting... I'm not asking haters to join my group and take down the server. I merely asked for opinions on the matter. Unbiased opinions would be preferable, cause anyone can jump to defend someone they "care" about without good grounds.
Hali wrote:Also I wanna ask every guy that complained or felt discriminated: do you really wanna risk to annoy Hazel and her cool new events away and do you only wanna have Dice and Hocus Pocus forever again ?
What I'm saying is, be fine with how it is and participate next time. Maybe next time it goes better for you.
Be fine with how it is? So, if there is a problem, you should just leave it? I'm not saying that Hazel is a problem, but she did make a mistake and I'm the one who got "hurt" by it.

It would be a much more fruitful discussion if people refrained from "better luck next time" (this is not a matter of luck, but about decisions that were made), "Hazel is awesome" (while I appreciate all the events that she does, such biased opinions are irrelevant), "it's just a hat" (if it's so easy to get, get me one and hopefully next time I participate in an event I won't be the one who got lost out.
Hali
Drops
Drops

Post by Hali »

I'm sorry if I seemed to insult you, I didn't mean to. There were too many rude people that participated the former events that really annoyed me alot, but I don't think you're one of them. :/

Just to help me understanding, why exactly did Hazel redo the round? I don't understand how bats can be 'unfair'.

I really think this was just a misunderstanding of Hazel. People make mistakes and I think Hazel knows she was doing it wrong, at least she knows it now. Maybe I'm asking for more understanding towards the staff, they're just humans still and Hazel is pretty new to the Event GM job.

Let me ask, what else do you hope to happen about this?

Find something to live for,
and protect it.
Tri Edge
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Tri Edge »

I think that it was fair for you to have won, but the event sounds like a new event to me, so Hazel probably hasn't gotten it down quite yet. I think that she made the right decision in having no prize for that event because it doesn't sound like the event was done correctly.
Zzz
Poring
Poring

Post by Zzz »

Hali wrote:Just to help me understanding, why exactly did Hazel redo the round? I don't understand how bats can be 'unfair'.
People complained that bats were too fast and my point being that even though they are fast, they could've attacked me.
Hali wrote:Let me ask, what else do you hope to happen about this?
I'm letting the GMs decide that and would like to see if something will be done about the previous decision.
Tri Edge wrote:I think that it was fair for you to have won, but the event sounds like a new event to me, so Hazel probably hasn't gotten it down quite yet. I think that she made the right decision in having no prize for that event because it doesn't sound like the event was done correctly.
There were prizes for round 1 and 3. Just not for the round in which I participated. Also, she tested the event before starting it and told me that bats worked fine during the test.
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Post by GDRAGON »

Wasn't there for the event, haven't read other posts except for the first. But I'd totally have to agree with you, Zzz, if that's really what happened. If bats were summoned, to quicken the amount of time spent on the event or to put pressure on the remaining survivors. Either way, it should've been a fair match for all. It actually would've been MORE unfair for the remaining survivors since they had to deal with extra obstacles. But since you went through with it, and event wasn't halted right away, then it's a valid round, at least in my opinion.

Maybe should've ran some tests with this event before it was presented publicly. Or made a decision whether extra monsters/obstacles will be added on, later in the round before hand.

Cheers,
GD
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

I love new events besides tried-and-true like Hocus Pocus, Dice, Tarot.

But the downside to them is that if there's a way to break it or make things wanker, people will find them. If there's a mistake, it will be encountered. That's just inevitable.

To that end, I believe new event concepts should be posted on here and announced in-game as Beta Events that can be done on the test server, so that way no one wins/"loses" anything in them but it allows us to pin down where it's broken and where it isn't.

The first few Zombie Races for example, would've gone tremendously better had they been pre-tested first. While the GM in question regarding these new events could have handled some of them better, I can hardly fault her specifically as much as the fact: where there's a way, there's a will.

Repeat tests of an event before they go live is a must, even if it seems fault-proof.
Kiana
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kiana »

I will talk to Hazel about the situation, and get back to you.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

I am going to assume you were "PT" or something close. In which case HAZEL was in the RIGHT. (If not I apologize).

The reason for the null and void round was because of the happenings at the end when it was 2 or 3 left. You were TOLD TO KEEP FIGHTING (with the only exception being if agros were already on you) and instead, you ran off to a corner before the agros had even spawned and continued to stay in the corner and not do anything even after the bats had been spawned and targeted others. Meanwhile the other person or 2 had continued to fight as instructed and lured numerous bats in the process, while you sat around and waited in the corners.

Numerous people complained that you had only "won" because you had ignored what Hazel had said and stopped fighting when the others continued as instructed.

And in Hazels defence, there was a fair few of us playing around and testing out possible monsters as agros and such for quite a while before the event. It could have used a little more preparation, but I still think it was a much better event then the usual dice/tarot/hocus/Quiz events
/right