(+) Star Gladiator Reset/Angel

Accepted suggestions because we like you so much.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

(+) Star Gladiator Reset/Angel

Post by Dowe »

[WallOfText]
Ok. Well ultimately I would love to see star Gladiator reset to be possible. Gladiators are fun, but are already an under used class and I would love to see them more popular... (that's not awfully important though).

Some of you may be unaware, but Gravity/eAthena already has an official method of star gladiator map and target reset implemented. Last time I attempted this on a server, the condition to trigger this reset took about 24 hours of using /doridori in some cases.

1) Anyway. My first suggestion would be to increase the chance of this "Angel" triggering, to suit the servers rates. It would still require work, but at least a reset would be near possible (example: x30 or x50, however anything would be good).

2) My second suggestion (if the previous wasn't liked) is to implement the map and target resets to the current reset NPC. These could be two independent resets (a map reset and a target reset) with a pricing system similar to the stat/skill reset.

3) The third and least preferred method would be some sort of quest.... but I'm not awfully fond of this idea.

In terms of if this would overpower star gladiators in anyway, I would say probably not. According to the player ranks, there is only a single 99/50 star gladiator on the server. In terms of HP, they suffer the HP table of an non-transcended class. Their damage is low vs the majority of people and monsters (made worse by a lack of attack skills). They suffer from having no attack skills (using a book), meaning something like a pest card (auto stone curse on attack) can cause a great amount of trouble. They do have "Union" skill which allows their attacks to bypass defense, but this comes at the cost of 8% HP (per hit) vs players. They can "drain" sp from an enemy, however this also comes at the cost of their own.

SO overall, I would love to see any of these ideas implemented. Star gladiators are a pretty fun class to play, but the map and target limits can be very annoying at times.

Feel free to comment on this. Id love to discuss this if any of you guys have any issues.
[/WallOfText]
/right
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Re: Star Gladiator Reset/Angel

Post by Haelstrom »

If you check the suggestion thread regarding the Extended classes, you'll find there's at least a chunk of the server under the impression Star Gladiators are MVP slaying gods sent down from the Heavens. (Which in some cases they are, but it's not like the alternate standard MVP slaying choice of Bragi/SP+Attack/BuffBuffBuffBuff/Memo/ASURRRAAAA/repeat is threatened by it by a long shot.)

Having seen this suggestion in numerous servers, #2 is what is usually boiled down towards- and it's usually not at all cheap at the end of the suggestion.

My own take would be: to make it a set cost to reset your target and/or map (individual prices and then a combo price, map being more expensive than target), but that instead of making it absurdly expensive, there be some sort of grand "delay" implemented where it can only be utilized once every 24 hours. A reasonable price, reasonable reset pace that makes it convenient without giving paranoia in droves to those who'd quickly state "But but but PEOPLE WILL MAKE EVERY MAP IN THE WORLD THEIR MAP AND STAR GLADIATOR WILL MAKE MY ACID DEMO CREATOR FALL DOWN :(," it's how I see it being plausible at any-rate.

I'd not suggest a quest for two reasons.

1. It might be too time-consuming -or- too quickly completed, both holding problems.
2. A well-resourced SG could simply collect the quest materials in droves ahead of time, to make going from one WoE / BG / what have you to the next a matter of drawing out of storage real fast which ruins the very point of it being a quest to deter rapid map-change spam to begin with.

The only upside is that depending on the quest materials, those specific items might go up in demand on the economy (provided we get more SG players), but whether that would be a true upside or not depends on the items in question.

Just a flat angel increase would be neat, but don't get your hopes up. There's always at least one individual with suggestions like these who likes to boast "I ALWAYS GET RESET MY FIRST TWO DORIDORRIESSS QQ SOME MORE," to the face palm of many.

But! Nice suggestion.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Somewhat on topic: I would love to see a map and target reset on the Test Server if there isn't already one on it.

Haelstrom wrote:but that instead of making it absurdly expensive, there be some sort of grand "delay" implemented where it can only be utilized once every 24 hours.
That's actually a pretty decent idea. I would go so far as to suggest the reset only be allowed once every Week (or preferably maybe even month).

I'm not sure if it is at all possible, but maybe the reset could change the targeted map to a predefined map. (Bare with me, I'm explaining myself poorly). For example: When you go to reset your map, you can pay "X" Zeny to reset to a WoE Map(? possibility of problems ?), town, pvp map or LOW LEVEL leveling area (Which the script would do automatically). Or you could then pay "Y" Zeny to reset the maps entirely and choose your own the normal way. My concerns with this method is that it may be too complicated to implement in the scripts...

Haelstrom wrote: Just a flat angel increase would be neat, but don't get your hopes up. There's always at least one individual with suggestions like these who likes to boast "I ALWAYS GET RESET MY FIRST TWO DORIDORRIESSS QQ SOME MORE," to the face palm of many.
Yeah I can see the problem with that now. Giving them a free and easy (although time consuming) reset method could cause problems. I would make a 2nd suggestion that the rates be made maybe x5 or x10 and implemented ON A TRIAL BASIS. If they are deemed too easy to get, they can always be lowered or removed altogether.

In fact, I want to make this clear. Any suggestion CAN be removed or changed once it has been implemented. If the angel rate starts low, it can be raised slowly to suit the general population's desires. If the reset is expensive, it can be lowered to suit the populations desires. This would be preferred over a cheap reset or angel being achievable within 10 minutes.

Anyway. Comments and opinions on the topic are always desired. Feel free to post.
/right
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

1) Anyway. My first suggestion would be to increase the chance of this "Angel" triggering, to suit the servers rates. It would still require work, but at least a reset would be near possible (example: x30 or x50, however anything would be good).

2) My second suggestion (if the previous wasn't liked) is to implement the map and target resets to the current reset NPC. These could be two independent resets (a map reset and a target reset) with a pricing system similar to the stat/skill reset.

3) The third and least preferred method would be some sort of quest.... but I'm not awfully fond of this idea.

Regarding #1, it's quite unlikely that we would make any adjustments to class/skill-specific source code or balance (considering I'm pretty sure we can increase the rate from a configuration file even). As stated by some other players, #2 is more of a possibility. For #3, I also doubt this would be smiled upon -- although it would work better for Gym Pass plans.

The ideas floating around about fees and delays are good.

Regarding the Test Server reset, I'll see about adding that to the "Special Chicken". It has never been requested before but is a good idea.

EDIT: @feelreset was enabled on Wool. This should give players that requested functionality. I decided not to bother with the Special Chicken for this since it seems unnecessary.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Awesome. Thanks for the reply Koma.

And yes, I took a look and 1) is a simple change of 1 variable in a config file. But as stated in my second post, it isn't really a preferred method anymore, and 3) was never really an idea I liked (I just threw it out there).
/right
Qembek
Drops
Drops

Post by Qembek »

its quite unfair that this server enables reset skill/stat and for example pure pve char can become pure pvp woe char and this is about all classes except tkm, cause he will always be stuck to 3 maps and no option to change that as fast as other classes can change their builds with reset npc.

thats why i would say +1 to suggested option 2 but with a delay added to reset map/target npc.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

This was implemented as of this update: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1051" TARGET="_blank.