(%) A Different Dead Branch Area

Accepted suggestions because we like you so much.
PiraNja
Drops
Drops

(%) A Different Dead Branch Area

Post by PiraNja »

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE old Morroc(Morocc? Whatever, I don't love it THAT much) and wept a little when it got all destroyed, so I'm all for the map being available, but I find it's qualities lacking when being used as a Dead Branch area. Maybe because the one I know from my previous server was so very different.

Why is this?

- The Area is too wide, with no real confinements for the monsters, thus
-- A Player cannot separate their spawned monsters from someone elses in any way.
-- A Player will in fact get hindered by the other players monsters constantly
-- It gets hard to find a 'clear' spot after a while.
-- It is hard to act as a group, if after every death you have to relocate and Fly Wing all over to find even non-boss monsters you spawned.
-- People abandon their monsters a lot, leaving them to wander all over the map, again, getting in the way of others.

- There does not seem to be any NPCs, so
-- A player who spawned something they did not prepare for has to die to get access to a Kafra to get their equipment.
---- See point about relocating the monster.

What sort of map am I trying to suggest?

- One with NPCs, if only Kafra and Warper (as Healer could be abused) and maybe Merchant.
- One with separated areas, so
-- Several Players can spawn monsters without hindering each other.
-- Players can more easily relocate their monsters after deaths.
-- It is easier to find a 'clear' area.

I don't know what the map the server I previously played on used, but it's layout was somewhat like this:

A thing unrelated to the map itself, would be that maybe the map would wipe itself after a while, i.e. clear itself of mobs.
Problematic would be people getting their mobs wiped right after spawning them, though...
Sythis
Drops
Drops

Re: A Different Dead Branch Area

Post by Sythis »

+1

I do like the idea of having the DB room modified into the suggested one. It does have some back bone of a reason to it as well. I do randomly go down into the DB room to see other mobs that I had not spawned running around. Some times making it hard to kill another one that I HAD spawned next to it with out knowing. It also makes it much easier for groups of players to be able to go in and spawn their own without worrying about getting in the way of the other group.

About the NPC's, not to sure about having those there. How ever I don't see how having them there would hurt anything or leave open for abuse. And about having some sort of time delay wipe of the mobs there. Unless there was a way for them to set it up to wipe after such a period of time of not having anyone in there. I don't see how that could work out. I have no idea if there is such a way of setting that up.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=816

There were some ideas to create instanced sessions for parties, or using different maps previously, but this is still in queue (similar to the recently added PvP maps that were on hold for a long time).

This suggestion has been basically approved though as of the old suggestion. The ideas are very helpful though (especially if you can figure out which map exactly it was since I believe this map already exists officially).

As far as wiping every so often though, we've left that to the server maintenance to deal with every week. People have spammed the current map before, but other people have also enjoyed the festivity of going in and clearing it out too. As Sythis has said, its somewhat hard to establish a rotating timer regarding inactivity too.
PiraNja
Drops
Drops

Post by PiraNja »

Ah I see, I'm sorry I was in a bit of a rush and carelessly neglected the search button, entirely my bad.

Seeing as I am so new I wasn't aware of there being a weekly maintenance, as that does indeed work as a good option ^^

The server it was on isn't exactly available anymore, but I found this map:
ordeal_a00 in sdata
I looked at it in ragcam, and I'm not sure if it is the same one cause I remember it being darker, but it definitely seems a lot like it.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Don't worry about posting it again actually. Personally, I dislike it when suggestions are grouped together. It makes it harder to file them into Approved/Null & Void that way -- and may end up with them either being denied or split up individually manually. Plus you had some good points and went more in-depth. We'll see about adding them in shortly, since I was about getting to that one as well anyways (as I've been catching up with my backlog of tasks).
Zzz
Poring
Poring

Post by Zzz »

If I understood correctly, the suggestion is to change the current Dead Branch Area (Arena?). While I agree to the points stated, how about adding different additional maps like the ones on PvP, where you have a variety of selections. I'm not sure if this was mentioned. If it has, then I must have missed it.
Mitsuo
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Post by Mitsuo »

+1

I like the 8 point map posted here. A old server(forget which) had this map as the DB arena. There were genreal NPC's in the middle area like a rules, warper, healer, and storage. At the end of each of the 8 sections was a healer. this way people were able to just stay in there to DB or BB to their hearts content. The 8 sections were private. Anything spawned in there is yours unless you abandon it(including MVPs). Though if anything was spawned in the middle it was FFA(including MVPs from BB).
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Re: (%) A Different Dead Branch Area

Post by Koma »

Ordeal_3-1 will be added temporarily to the Dead Branch Arena warp menu tonight.

I say temporarily because this is a quick, last minute addition (with the mapflags of course), as I intend on updating this to a properly duplicated map system. I'd rather not have these "official" maps, even though unused, be used for other things.

EDIT: Spamming of DBs is currently disabled but should be corrected within the next 24 hours. This map was not added to the DB filter list to allow more than 1 at a time.