Cosmetic Editing: Limitations.

Got a Question? Ask it. ( does not include comments and suggestions)
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Re: Cosmetic Editing: Limitations.

Post by GDRAGON »

Okay, so lets say the staff sets a rule against grf modifications of some/any sort. There's really nothing they can do to stop whoever from using it.

I use grf mods myself. Does it benefit me? Certainly. I dont see anything wrong with grf mods. It basically gives you a different angle in the game.
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

If it's misinterpreted, let me clarify: I don't want any of the cosmetic additions linked in this thread to be restricted. On the contrary, they and more I want to utilize. However, different servers feel differently about it, so I posed the question.

As a side: there is absolutely nothing wrong with multi-clienting, especially when even with MCs, CB is usually out-numbered by a large chunk of the guilds that attack us even at our peak times. Not to mention we're hardly the only guild that MCs Bragi Slaves, support, a pre-cast/offense role, etc. I apologize that your guild and perhaps others see it differently, but MC'ing characters in a WoE is nothing like MC'ing characters in a BG - you usually do pretty well against us, I wouldn't cheapen that by implying blame of our victories or your losses on something so trivial, if that is what you're doing.

There is nothing that can be done to stop.. players from GRF modding (any security measure I've ever seen is quickly gotten around), but there is something to be done to strike players after the fact. And like I said, depending on the range of how they modified things, as well as drama-circles - it usually gets out and they get punished. I'm referring to edits that seriously affect gameplay on a balance end mind you, not on edits like "hey, I can see which way I'm supposed to go on the map easier, huhr!"

But, where does one end stop and the next begin? That is the question I'm wanting answers on before I start tweaking with things heavy, and anything I do, I'll post in my Character Roster because I see no need to keep it hidden.

TL;DR: Giant cards, customized tarots, tweaked Frost Joker, item preview, map directions, map tweaks. Usually cool. Chase Walk steps of ease, animation changing to a point it can be spammed more readily, disabling Star Gladiator blind effect. Fun stuff of that sort, surely you'd agree whether that could be stopped or not, no guild worth their time and effort would resort to it? Right?
cometodru
Poporing
Poporing

Post by cometodru »

Imply your own blame:
I don't think multiclienting is cheating. I just don't see a need for it at all. If you don't have a 1:1 player to character count for whatever reason, you shouldn't offset through multiclienting. Different issue, so I'm going to stop there and leave those words there for now.
Once again, how do you go about proving said things?

I'll just be straight forward with the mods you're talking about.

AV Mod - Prove it, because stacking AVs can still be done using a legit build, if you know the exact combination of stats you'd need to bypass the animation.

Sonic Blow - Once again, proper stats and buffs allows for stacking.

Blindness - Tell me how you prove they aren't just using @refresh or portal hopping. Maybe they do, in fact, know how to play with blindness.

Changing chase walk colors - how do you know they just don't see you?

Two of the four are word of mouth. Two the GMs can actually test for themselves. That still leaves you with, just from those, 50% of the mods which can't be disproved. Since we're on the subject of mods, we haven't even considered filters, where you wouldn't have to change anything in your grf. There are too many variables in this. It's not just one thing you're considering, it's multiple: what and how they're modding vs. actual playing experience, stats, gears vs. word of mouth vs. evidence (if any).
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Post by Phaiyte »

Phaiyte wrote:
cometodru wrote:how are you going to prove it without knowing exactly how they're modding?
That isn't what this thread is about at all.
But to answer the question:
you can't unless someone gets a hold of said modded grf and plays the game with it.
I'm just going to leave this here in case dru didn't see it the first time.
Pull the trigger and the nightmare stops.

To be the hero is all I'll ask.
cometodru
Poporing
Poporing

Post by cometodru »

I saw that the first time. My point is, and G Dragon already said it and I've said, there's no way of limiting and then enforcing it. So why ask, "What are the limitations?" To ask what the limitations are is the same as asking, "How will people who go beyond said lines be punished?" You can't have a limit to something if there are no consequences thereafter that limit has been reached.
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

It isn't the same, I'm afraid. I'm wanting to know what this server finds to be acceptable. Punishment or lack there of is irrelevant to me because I don't need risk of punishment to follow regulations. I simply need to know what the line is and tweak accordingly.
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Post by Phaiyte »

Haelstrom wrote:It isn't the same, I'm afraid. I'm wanting to know what this server finds to be acceptable. Punishment or lack there of is irrelevant to me because I don't need risk of punishment to follow regulations. I simply need to know what the line is and tweak accordingly.
fo' sho' /fist
Now everyone quit bitching or I'mma have to whip out some justice on someone.

cometodru
Poporing
Poporing

Post by cometodru »

@Phaiyte: People saying useless things is how threads like this get closed in the first place. Don't be useless.
Haelstrom wrote:It isn't the same, I'm afraid. I'm wanting to know what this server finds to be acceptable. Punishment or lack there of is irrelevant to me because I don't need risk of punishment to follow regulations. I simply need to know what the line is and tweak accordingly.
How is it not the same? If you're wanting to know the limits of what you can do, there has to be something that will be done after those limitations are reached. Otherwise, it's a pointless question to ask. You might as well just go ahead and mod away. If you have nothing to fear, and you are supposedly someone who frowns upon cheating, then your mods should not affect the game play in the ways you're scared others might do. Even if they do, it shouldn't matter. If you're a top tier player, their GRF mods won't affect how well you play anyways.
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

cometodru wrote:How is it not the same? If you're wanting to know the limits of what you can do, there has to be something that will be done after those limitations are reached. Otherwise, it's a pointless question to ask. You might as well just go ahead and mod away. If you have nothing to fear, and you are supposedly someone who frowns upon cheating, then your mods should not affect the game play in the ways you're scared others might do. Even if they do, it shouldn't matter. If you're a top tier player, their GRF mods won't affect how well you play anyways.
No, there isn't something that needs to be done after the fact. That is similar to saying if there were no laws and if I held no religious convictions, I should be A-OK to go around murdering people on impulse. I don't need a promise of punishment to go by what I feel's correct.

I will thus mod to what's permissible here, and let it be known where the general line is drawn for others who don't need a crutch to get ahead. I never claimed I was a "top tier player," nor did I claim I'm scared of others cheating to get minor and (usually) insignificant edges. I said I disliked them doing it, and that personally, I'd quit a game if I had to resort to blatant cheating just to stay competitive. Such edits I specified that weren't "kosher," are like that. No one needs or should use them, whether there's a way of readily preventing it or not.

Why does my asking the specifics on this bother you?

The answer given, either way won't affect your gameplay by what your posts suggest, simply my own. It's not like I'm posing a suggestion to change the server in some manner. You seem to have, though you denied it, a baseless hostile edge if nothing else to which I can't grasp the source.
Phaiyte
Metaling
Metaling

Post by Phaiyte »

cometodru wrote:@Phaiyte: People saying useless things is how threads like this get closed in the first place. Don't be useless.
Me? Useless?
Pfft, you're the one being useless.
Shouting out blatantly obvious hostility then throwing out question that don't even make sense.
I answered your "questions" for you.
Haelstrom has answered your "questions" for you.
You are just saying the same thing over and over again.

Here, I'll do it AGAIN, just for you.
The man asked "Hey man is this legal on this server?"
This is because, he does not want to use anything that ISN'T legal on this server.
He has stated that more than plenty times in the past few posts.

The question of "what would happen if something not legal is used?" NEVER came up in his post.
YOU are the one that pointlessly brought it up.
If you're going to make an issue out of something so trivial as this,
you'd might as well go to my custom BGM thread,
and repeat every single post you've made in this thread so far.

It would have pretty much the same effect.
Have fun with that.