Multi-clienting in BG

Got a Question? Ask it. ( does not include comments and suggestions)
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Multi-clienting in BG

Post by GDRAGON »

Why isn't it allowed?
cometodru
Poporing
Poporing

Re: Multi-clienting in BG

Post by cometodru »

I think the main thing is to prevent people from farming points by just multiclienting and filling up the rooms. I really don't see a problem with re-allowing it. I see that they don't want people to benefit from multiclienting, but people still reap the benefits of it through other mediums of game play.

The point of multiclienting is to offset the amount of actual players you need. Everything else, aside from events and BG, is allowed to be offset. Battlegrounds is on the same level as WoE for me. You do it so you can gain certain items/advantages over other players. Either way, it takes time and effort, more or less.
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Post by GDRAGON »

If you guys arent going to allow multi for BG, dont allow it at all
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

I was around when BG's first took off here. For a while, people MC'd it heavy, myself included. Not just a few guilds either, every single one did as (at the time) there just wasn't enough people to make 10v10 possible, and there was no 5v5 variants. However, this became a problem, as people who could MC a lot of clients (raises hand) could giga-farm gear on a level that would make others weep. And while I didn't get to do it as much as I wanted to because CB is notoriously random between and even during WoEs.. still, when it was mandated no MC'ing would be permitted at all in BGs, I didn't complain because I acknowledged the problem. But, I was sore that with no MC's at all, BGs would be so ferociously rare.

So as a compromise, staff made 5v5 versions of the two core BGs.

WoE =/= BG because in BGs, you have a set number of character slots. If you alt-tab in a BG, it's less an issue because you make up a larger presence of the whole deal, while in WoE, there is a theoretical endless supply of people and thus, whether you MC or not doesn't make others participating not possible. In short, don't pay attention to (x) character when an enemy comes by in WoE, you're good as dead. In BG where you can easily split down the middle.. you're secure pretty much.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. MC'ing BGs kinda bypasses the whole "it's character locked, you can't trade badges" part by allowing you to get badges on all your choice characters at once. I see where you're coming from, I love multi-clienting in general. But this is one area I highly doubt staff're going to budge on, given there was a stigma against MC'ing from the server's conception. The 5v5 variants are our compromise, and it's not tough to get 9 people plus yourself to do a BG.
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Post by GDRAGON »

MCing is for people, or groups of people, for that matter - to do things that they arent already capable of doing with their current numbers. I don't see why MCing isnt allowed in BG. The whole idea of letting certain people MC in BG before, then setting a rule afterwards seems kinda.... @&^#%. This is pretty much like starting a server with dungeon level warps for a few months, then changing it back to dungeon entrance warp for the rest of the server's life span. You're basically limiting this to people with big guilds and/or people with a large group of friends. Others who play this server with just a few friends would have to depend, and wait on others to join. I'd MUCH rather be able to do it myself, if you know what I mean. I'd like some staff input on this asap.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

The problem was, people were multi clienting to fill numbers. That's not too bad right? Who cares if there are a multi client or two on each side...

Well that isnt the problem. No one wants to play the constantly losing side, so what do they do, everyone's main goes to the "winning" side and the other side is filled with the multi clients. I remember NUMEROUS times (at least four or five) I was the ONLY person active in a 10 vs 10 BG game. More then 10 times I have been in a battlegrounds where it is 5 vs 10 for the same reason.

Unlike WoE, in Battlegrounds there is a FIXED number of allowed participants. When your team is comprised of AFKers and multi-clients, you get pretty damn pissed off since your chance of winning goes from 50:50 to about the same chance hell has of freezing over.

If you want the gear, do it without multi clients. Get people to shout to players, or even ask a GM to broadcast it if they are on. I'm always game.
/right
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Clarifying yet again since people keep pulling assumptions out of thin air regarding the MC stances: there weren't people "permitted before". If you look at the history of the server, even Otterpops was driving the usage of BGs long before CB ever did. Back then, players were concerned about MCs even with the population around 200-300 and as Rephikul quoted me in the MC thread: it was never to be done in BGs. The actual announcement of the rule came later but it was pretty much a "known"/common sense-issue back then. Emphasis on common sense.

Regarding the purpose of allowing MCs to let BGs get going, the reduction was done in order to solve that issue. We can always remove the 5v5 -- and that would leave you with what?

The other point to be made is that while the 5v5 exists, the majority of the MC abusers have been abusing the 10v10 system. The 10v10 exists with specific incentives in order to gather more players such as higher rewards and lower in-between game delay. It's actually quite rare for the 5v5 to be used by MCers from past records by comparison.

The argument used by the MCers to get BGs going would serve a valid purpose.. IF they actually were using the 5v5. However, since that doesn't even happen, it's questionable as to if the motives of using MCs even exist at all in regards to just getting enough people to get a game going.

From what has been seen so far, the reason why people MC in BGs is more to avoid having to deal with other people either winning or being competition. They are specifically doing it because.. they hate to lose.
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Post by GDRAGON »

The only reason why I want MC in BG is because I want to be able to do it whenever I want. I dont want to have to rely on other players. I hate to put it so direct, but some of them are pretty senseless. They keep entering and quitting. I sat in BG for an hour and a half once, waiting for people to just join. But they dont, why? because they think they'll lose, or maybe some of them dont like the teams. Its a total waste of time, hence why none of Tempest even bothers with BG anymore.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

I agree. It is an irritating mindset which gets nothing done, but does allowing MCs in BG really solve the issue? Depending on the amount, we have had issues where a player would MC 10 players in an arena -- meaning it was either a lop-sided match, or it was as if we just gave them the win and there was no match at all.

The original suggestion before was to set an official time for BGs so that players could agree to gather at a point knowing full well that people with like mindsets would join. However, there was no response in the Battlegrounds forums to set it. See viewforum.php?f=52. I know that's far from what you're looking for (the anytime ability to BG), but it is a starting point which could at least lead to BGs lasting a couple of hours and hopefully longer as time progresses.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Sounds good.

Having an announcement/fixed time once or twice a week would be awesome. If (and only if) the fixed time BG/announcement doesn't work as planned (with few people attending), then maybe making a "happy hour" where battlegrounds rewards with 25~50% more badges a match and maybe reduced match cool down too. If all else fails, maybe throwing in a few statless (battlegrounds only) helms for badge exchange prizes could liven it up.

And yeah, as Koma said/hinted at. Once you have the people battlegrounds usually lasts quite a while.
/right