(+) Starting Items

Accepted suggestions because we like you so much.
Sharpism
Drops
Drops

(+) Starting Items

Post by Sharpism »

Heyo, I'm new on here and I just started up a character; An Archer. I went through the tutorial and got a decent amount of Exp which I quite enjoyed. 9/9 Just by clicking through the conversations. However as a new player it's quite hard to start off the game without anything.

As I leveled to 11/10 in just a Lunatic and a Pouring kill, I found myself economically charged once I Job Changed to an archer and 598 Zeny, no Bow, no Arrows.

Might I suggest just to help people; especially newer players having every first class in the Job Changer/ "Job Researcher" to have some BASIC gear to start someone off without slowing them down to the point of having to kill Poring/Lunatic's to obtain Zeny to continue to level faster.

I don't see the point of being an Archer without a bow to shoot things with.

Thanks anyways, Ruen/Flesh.
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Re: Starting Items

Post by Haelstrom »

Hello,

I see where you're coming from, but I don't really see the necessity for this. While this is more difficult for a newer player to know right off the bat, some tips:

-Click the first NPC you see twice. She'll give you experience.
-Talk to all the NPC's, but pay attention to the Item NPC. Use the Potion when she says and equip the Sandals when she says, you'll get some extra Novice gear with Neutral resist.
-After you go to the monster field, @die and talk to the NPC that warps you in again for bonus experience and potions.
-Talk to the NPC just in the Monster Field and ask for the toughest option. Turn @autoloot on, equip your gear, get 1 point into Dex for 10 and the rest, pump into STR - and go kill crazy.

By the time you leave the Novice grounds, you can easily be level 20~23 with little effort, and have enough loot to sell to easily buy yourself the beginning bow and a good 1,000 arrows from Payon. If you don't have enough to stat reset from the Job NPC in Pront yet, from there, go to Payon Dungeon and auto-attack Zombies while using your 300+ Novice Red Pots on F2 to tank them, as well as the Skeletons as those two give drops that'll net you several thousand zeny a sell. Keep selling your loot until you have enough to stat reset in Prontera, do so, pump your Dex like crazy, equip your bow / arrows (I recommend Fire to save time) - and destroy Poporings in Payon until you're able to kill the monster Les in Moscavia Dungeon.

Les are like far weaker but comparable EXP versions of Increase Soils / Mi Gaos. You can kill them very early on (I've done it with a level 20 Thief / Throw Stone), and they give great EXP. To top it, if you keep their Sharp Leaves and go to Comodo Beach Dungeon then travel one map East and talk to the first NPC you see, you can turn in 50 of them at level 60~85 (yes, you can still turn them in at 85), netting you over a million base/job EXP a turn in and free White Potions.

It's not as easy as "hey, this is everything you need, here" - but trust me when I say as an Archer going Bard or Hunter, you've got it really easy on starting out. You could be 86 in a day without too much trouble, once you get the hang of it. Hope this helped!
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Just as an added note: that 598z that you have partially came from the change located here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=209. We bumped up the starting zeny to 500z quite awhile back according to an old accepted suggestion similar to this one. I would have increased it higher but concerns of abuse were minimized in this way.

Regarding adding starter items, I believe part of the reason it was not done during the old suggestion (yes, this was part of the same suggestion above originally), was that players mentioned they wanted to keep the incentive of the actual job quests intact whereas the Job Researcher has this drawback of not providing them -- afterall, it isn't a guild leader like the other job changers but just a "researcher". Still up for consideration though.
GDRAGON
Poporing
Poporing

Post by GDRAGON »

Should bump up the money to 1,500z or something, for those who do not wish to go through the training process. That way, they are still able to buy some sort of starting equip for themselves(for archer: a bow and 500 arrows), and it's also low enough that it wouldn't be abused.

GD
Sharpism
Drops
Drops

Post by Sharpism »

Haelstrom wrote:
LOL I've been playing for quite some time, these sorts of things are pretty much rooted into my brain as I've been on several servers and seen the evolution of RO throughout the 6 years I've been dabbling. My point was, is that if you go through the "Training" the exp that it's set to at this would already get you to Base Level 9 and Job Level 9. Meaning for all the standard classes the gear is useless as you'll most likely be going to a different job then Novice, you cannot sell that gear as it's worth 0 Zeny I believe.

Now what earked me isn't the fact that I actually had to go and kill a Lunatic and a Poring to level up the last levels, but the fact that I turn into an archer without a bow. Thus I had to go kill more pouring/lunatic just to BUY the bow that I should have standard as an Archer, which would also be included if I went and played on a standard iRO server and done the quest. I would have figured that the same would be provided to me as if I went and did the quest itself.

80/50 Hunter after 3 hours.. n___n;;
Koma wrote:
Well first of all, I'm quite grateful for the quick reply from a dev so quickly, really quite starstruck. :]
- In all honestly it really doesn't bother me that I had to go do something so simple, however I figured considering that the rates are high enough that a simple bow/arrows wouldn't be too much of an issue, if you look at an abusing factor, I could TECHNICALLY create a new character and have it level 10 every 5 minutes.
500z Starting
500z Bow
100 Arrows (Try to sell them they're not worth anything)
10z Standard Knife + Shirt
1010z / 5 for minutes
202z/Minute

Now that compared to the average Pouring loot;
3z Jellopy
7z Apple
3z Empty Bottle
35z Sticky Mucus

I don't think people would be creating multiple accounts for 1010z every 5 minutes, in my honest opinion-- it would be too much work with little to no input, on top of that the time it'd take you to transfer and delete characters wouldn't make it worth anyone's time, as they could just level up to Blvl 30 and go for skeleton rings. Which would be the same output as doing 25 minutes of account creating, PER ring, not including the other loot you'd pick up as well.

I would recommend that it would just ONLY be the bow that the user gets once job changing.
In which an Archer would have;
500z Starting.
500z Bow
10z Standard Knife/Shirt
This would allow a new character to obtain a bow for free however having to use the 500z for arrows, or even change the starting to 1000z so the character can buy the bow and have to auto loot for arrow zeny.
Last edited by Sharpism on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Thus I had to go kill more pouring/lunatic just to BUY the bow that I should have standard as an Archer, which would also be included if I went and played on a standard iRO server and done the quest. I would have figured that the same would be provided to me as if I went and did the quest itself.
Wait, the normal quests aren't providing the starting items or am I reading that last post incorrectly?

This is really up for discussion. We could increase the starting zeny to 1000z so that all jobs are at least able to buy their first weapon, or adding in the starting item to the job changer is a simple "getitem" on jobchange. Up to the players though if its reasonable -- considering I still can't even find the original thread regarding this.
Sharpism
Drops
Drops

Post by Sharpism »

Koma wrote:Wait, the normal quests aren't providing the starting items or am I reading that last post incorrectly?
No you're reading that wrong. I meant that since it is a job changer it should prepare you to actually be the job you're doing. As all the skills of a swordsman can be used by a dagger, where as only buff skills are able to be gained by a Dagger wielding Archer, by then you SHOULD already have enough Zeny to buy a bow. [Dagger is what you have when you first start.]
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Id have to agree. The job changer could give similar items to their quest counterparts (for the first class only). Although it doesn't seem like much, often this can make starting a lot easier for new people.
/right
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

Sharpism wrote:
Haelstrom wrote:
LOL I've been playing for quite some time, these sorts of things are pretty much rooted into my brain as I've been on several servers and seen the evolution of RO throughout the 6 years I've been dabbling. My point was, is that if you go through the "Training" the exp that it's set to at this would already get you to Base Level 9 and Job Level 9. Meaning for all the standard classes the gear is useless as you'll most likely be going to a different job then Novice, you cannot sell that gear as it's worth 0 Zeny I believe.
I'm not saying you've never played RO, I'm simply giving you advice. =P As for levels, you.. really shouldn't be 9/9 by the time you leave the Novice grounds. Even if you kill nothing, doing as I guided should get you 16/9 or so easy. If you do take my advice and kill a little in that Novice ground with the "I wanna fight TOUGH monsters~!" setting with autoloot on though, you'll have a lot to sell very quickly, be 21/10 if you're being lazy, and have more than enough to buy your starter gear, etc.

I get where this suggestion's coming from, but I think we already have everything we need to start out as is. It's just not spoon-fed. =P
Clandestine
Marin
Marin

Post by Clandestine »

I'm going to have to agree with Haelstorm, we have everything we need to start out.. the mobs there already drop a few basic weapons (Drops with Rod, Fabre with Club, Chonchon with Cutter, and Condor with Bow).