Name & Sex Change NPC

Nullified suggestions are shown here. These are the denied changes.
Castile
Santa Poring
Santa Poring

Re: Name & Sex Change NPC

Post by Castile »

yuugi wrote:Seriously you are actually finding ways for people to abuse and get stronger, with name change.

Its not pointless and stupid, its just as pointless and stupid as pallete change, and u have that for free.

Pretty sure if i dont like my pallete i change it, if i dont like my name i change it.

The existence of this NPC would only have one step back and that would be the pointless donation pack. All your reasons are for not wanting it dont really make much sense.
I don't think anyone listed ways to "get stronger" from this. It's pointless and stupid just because it serves absolutely no purpose. You had your chance to name your character. And hell, I'll agree with you that it's exactly on par with the palette change. The only reason I didn't complain about it is that it was already here when I arrived at the server, and as a general rule just about every server has palette changes these days.

It's my personal opinion that everyone using a non-default palette looks horrible, but even though I dislike it, I really just can't see any possible harm from it. A Name change NPC is essentially BEGGING for people to abuse it. It's just that simple. Explain to us why you disagree, and give us a couple facts to think about instead of saying "OMG NO RAGE UR RONG"
rephikul
Marin
Marin

Post by rephikul »

The only situation where name change come in handy that I can think of is like this: guild leader and an another character of the same class swap name and palette. When they go into emp room one go left the other go right to confuse defender. It's about as useful as making your emblem totally transparent. It's not like I'm against name change, just saying.

For gender change, it screw up when there's a bard/dancer in the account.
Sakaretsu
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Sakaretsu »

rephikul wrote:The only situation where name change come in handy that I can think of is like this: guild leader and an another character of the same class swap name and palette. When they go into emp room one go left the other go right to confuse defender.
This is already a regular tactic. Have your recaller look EXACTLY like another stalker in the guild, Same name with either a one letter difference or a capital i replacing an l
Superbia
Drops
Drops

Post by Superbia »

-1 Really annoying.

One of many reasons:
Sakaretsu wrote:This is already a regular tactic. Have your recaller look EXACTLY like another stalker in the guild, Same name with either a one letter difference or a capital i replacing an l
Besides, I like it as donate option.
Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

An issue with this is that its a nice way to get away with things by making it harder to track you.

As far as the palette versus name-change thing goes, compare it to a person changing clothes to avoid the cops versus someone changing their whole identity.

Considering that a name-change changes the "name" entry in the "char" table of the SQL database, the only way staff can trace things would be via character ID and checking (if the suggested NPC allows it), any name-change logs. So if someone reported "Non-NameChanger" for a rule-breaking issue, the person can change their name to "NameChanger" -- forcing a secondary check considering players aren't reported via their Character IDs. It also strengthens the abuse of the I/L difference -- a player can masquerade as say VeIvet (using an I instead of an L -- although it's impossible as we already blocked that off), then change it when people wonder "why is Velvet saying things?"

Or take into account the situation where someone owns a common name such as "Cloud Strife", gains a bad reputation, changes their name, and a new person comes in under that name -- the frequency of this increases with such an NPC -- although it isn't completely gone considering that the donation method is there (which can be removed if people are going to go this far...afterall, we don't need to have the donation option available).

We do permit name-changes though, which are an added bonus to the OPB & OBB donation gift -- in order to moderate it a little bit more -- rather than an automated process which is harder to track.

I'm going to circle this back to the original poster though: what is the 100% true reason you are requesting a name-change? if you firmly believe that this should be implemented, you should state your situation and see if people agree to your predicament. This is considering that the economical reason has already been nullified and now that we have been presented with the above input.
Salang
Poporing
Poporing

Post by Salang »

Other servers had it, and it wasnt the end of the world, obviously youre not allowed to sex change if you have a high archer or a dancer/bard in the account.

Donating to get something as simple and trivial as name changing, since sometimes people might have gotten the wrong name or received a character from someone else/dont like the name they put anymore seems like a waste, not to mention OPB/OBB are fairly easy to get and pretty much useless as a perk for donating.

I dont really know how much it costs to name change but i just made the suggestion because myself included i know some other people that wanted to do it and i looked like a decent idea. Look at euphRO for example, it has had a name change npc up for 2 years, no one super abused it or escaped punishment from using it, and quite a few people benefited from it with.

Sure with 50x rates if you know what you're doing and you've got gear you have no trouble power lvling a character in a couple of hours with a new name, but if thats the case then why would someone donate money to get it name change? Seems more like a waste to me. Just a suggestion tho, up to the GM team if they aprove it or not.
Jazy | Salang | Illusionism

http://hosted.filefront.com/Salang

Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Why was this never requested on Crescendo if this was the case, Salang? We lived without it for years as well. You still have not explained the 100% true reason why you're making this request either.

As far as the mention of EuphRO goes:
Services
Some of the services below can also be paid for with zeny.
Name Change: (done through control panel)
Change the name of your character. The name you want must not be in use and can only contain letters, numbers, spaces, and hypens. It must be between 4 and 23 characters long, and it cannot start or end with a space of hyphen.
$3.00
(Less Than Us But We Offer Other Incentives -- Even If You Think They're Useless)
Guild Name Change: (contact a GM)
Change the name of your guild. The name you want must not be in use and can only contain spaces and the following characters:
$7.00 (Higher Than Our Donation Amount)
Guild Leader Change: (contact a GM)
Change the leader of your guild. The new leader must be in the guild for this to work.
$7.00 (Higher Than Our Donation Amount)
Re-rebirth (only for transcendant characters): (done through control panel)
We understand that sometimes you may make a mistake or your transcendant character will not turn out to what you expected.
Your character will go back to level 1/1 and Novice High job. You will lose your quest skills.
$10.00 (We have a reset NPC.. no going back to 1/1 novice high)
There is a possibility that it can be done with zeny like Euph -- but 5mil to 10mil are pretty low rates of entry for something that should be supported less. This was actually one consideration as the donations were designed -- this (zeny sink) or the Gambit option (http://blog.getgambit.com/" TARGET="_blank).
Salang
Poporing
Poporing

Post by Salang »

Increase the paid amount then to make it less abuseable, 20-30m? The amount i posted was just an example. as for euphRO, you dont have to pay at all to get any of those changes done since you can do them via an npc for zeny, and unless they changed it recently (which i highly doubt) they've had that npc in there for over a year. Guild Leader and Guild Name changes are way more abuseable and i did not and will not suggest them.

I believe i already posted the "100%" true reason why i wanted it, and its pretty obvious also, i wanted to name change one of my characters, my sniper to be exact, and since some other guildies wanted to name change some of theirs also, we're not going to donate for it, we made a suggestion post.

Thats what this forum is for right? To make suggestions.

Also of course the amount they ask is higher, that server is 3/3/2, not a 50/50/30, the amount of effort put into creating a character or a guild is much bigger in there than it is here. But still they have the npc that allows you to pay zeny instead of irl money for it.

Koma
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Koma »

Yes, it is to make suggestions, however, when the topic is pretty much 50/50 approval and denial, you may need to start giving and tweaking the suggestion.
Salang
Poporing
Poporing

Post by Salang »

-edit-

Why not keep both like euph then? Just make the npc ask for a reasonable amount of zeny. But honestly theres not much zeny in the server right now, which will probably change in the future, depending on the population.
Last edited by Salang on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.