A Merchant Square

Love us or just like us. Leave your thoughts and suggestions to improve the server.
MayChan
Poporing
Poporing

A Merchant Square

Post by MayChan »

I think we should add a merchant square for all the vendors, it might make it a little less clutter in Prontera. Possibly less laggy for some people when logging in or warping to Prontera. We can have a separate map for it and a separate NPC perhaps or along in with the warper NPC to get into the merchant map of vendors. The vendors in Prontera just makes it really messy and cluttering. Just a suggestion :3

I tried looking around if it was suggested or denied or accepted, I might be blind, but just suggesting ^^
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Re: A Merchant Square

Post by Haelstrom »

+97.5.

Don't really see a reason why this would be disapproved. A one-click NPC warp to the Merchant Square would be preferable, but this way, people can sort out their trading woes in a dedicated vending map, Prontera doesn't look like it's a (pardon the phrasing) giant autotrade orgy, and I can stop looking at all those icky multi-colored orange merchants with Domo-kun guild icons.

Icky.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Well... Ill have to admit... if the merchants are moved somewhere else, I will very rarely go check whats on sale. (But I don't have any problem with lag at Prontera.) If it is an issue, there is an easy fix.

You can save your character in another town, so when dieing you don't load all the merchants and etc etc. When you just want to just chill or check out the shops, you can return to Prontera. Overall there isn't really many shops, so if a user is experiencing crippling lag in Prontera, there may be another more serious problem. (While I was on dial-up speeds, I was still able to play a high population server with little to no lag).

And in terms of how the place looks, I think it is fine. The street is still clear, giving people quite a bit of room to move and talk, while people can still successfully vend items and attract people into their store.

I think that if a merchants area was created, it would have a negative effect on the overall economy of the server with fewer and fewer things actually sold by merchants, since fewer and fewer people would be checking them.
Last edited by Dowe on Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/right
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

..How incredibly lazy would you have to be to not make one~two extra clicks to check the Merchant Square?
MayChan
Poporing
Poporing

Post by MayChan »

I don't mean lag from saving in Prontera, I'm talking about logging out and logging back in. I'm sure if people really want to check something on the market they will go anyways, despite it's just a few clicks away? If that is an issue then have @market or that command that tells you if the item your searching is being vended.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Yes, but the majority of merchant sales are already Impulse buys. It is a fact that people will not check them as often (or possibly ever) if they are out of sight. It's not a point of lazyness, it's more a point of better vending success.

People sit in town, they are talking, the talking slows, they fill the time by checking a new shop.
People see shop name with something they need, they open the shop and check the price and decide to buy it or not.

I'm 100% certain that if they were moved somewhere else, the number of shop views would drop significantly (as would the number of things actually sold). The majority of people would only check the shops once a week at the very most. This would be a huge disadvantage to some people only vend for a short time, or regularly update their shops (leaving only the perma-vendors with high prices).

Overall, Prontera is fine in terms of looks. It appears organized, while still presenting users with shops.
/right
MayChan
Poporing
Poporing

Post by MayChan »

Funny thing about the "Shop's Name" Is either their lying for giggles or someone already bought them, so there really isn't a point for shop names other then you making it what you want it to say. Thus making that little high hopes of thinking your gonna buy what you wanted, gone. We wouldn't know if the view counts will drop or not so there is no way to actually prove that the viewing counts will drop, because of a movement. If people don't want to check the shops because they don't feel like going to where the merchants are, then I think that will be considered laziness. Also it's not like the whole server isn't going to check the merchants anymore if they move. I personally check the merchants practically everyday, so there is some people who are willing to check the merchants everyday.

Merchant square can also help spread out more of the vendors, instead of a squished together. Some vendors I see are covering other vendor shops because of the limited space in Prontera. Though if they had a merchant square where they can place their shop anywhere without a limit space, it be easier to see shops because vendors would want a place where people can see their shop instead of being covered up by others or limited space.
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

They're only as organized as "here's where you can't set up shop;" it's still a mess. As for impulse buys, it's really rather simple. If someone wants to buy something, or see what's on sale, they head by Merchant Square. It's no different than walking south of the main Prontera NPC's to check out shops not on-screen, and would take zero effort.

I've never bought something from Prontera just because I was in Prontera. It's always been "Hey, I want to buy (x)," "Hey, I want to sell (x), maybe I'll see what's on sale before I do," or "Hey, let's see what deals there are today."

You're seemingly wanting to ignore all the benefits this would give solely for some magical breed of player that finds either single or double-clicking challenging, and who has the attention span of a goldfish. I'm not going to deny there's players like that, but to deny this to appeal to that sort of attitude is absurd.
Dowe
Pouring
Pouring

Post by Dowe »

Edit: Turned out too long. I had a good half page report on my points, but it seems they will only be ignored anyway, so it was cut.

In short, just think of it like the identifier NPC. I've been on other servers where 90% of users use the NPC (similar system to this one's) to identify gear before deciding what to do with it (storage, drop, npc, etc). Here though, I'd say less then 10% have even used it before and it is only a 5 second walk from the spawn point.

If you can't understand this point, then don't bother posting about it because I CBF to explain it if I'm only going to be flamed.

Solution
If what you desire is a more organized vending area, then why not just organize the one we have? Limit vendors to specific rows and sections to keep it organized. If it ever needs to be expanded then it can be expanded further down and out. In the screen shot, image the red lines are the lines where vending is possible, and space between the vendor rows are 1-2 spaces thick. This would organize the vendors where they currently are into a more spaced out pattern.

/right
Haelstrom
Bomb Poring
Bomb Poring

Post by Haelstrom »

Dowe wrote:In short, just think of it like the identifier NPC. I've been on other servers where 90% of users use the NPC (similar system to this one's) to identify gear before deciding what to do with it (storage, drop, npc, etc). Here though, I'd say less then 10% have even used it before and it is only a 5 second walk from the spawn point.
That is a single NPC, for one particular purpose. It doesn't compare. This is an entire area for a fluctuating but significantly larger amount than just one character. Also, I use said Identifying NPC all the time personally (literally every day), and so have to point up to my goldfish comment again.
If you can't understand this point, then don't bother posting about it because I CBF to explain it if I'm only going to be flamed.
Not flaming you. If you can't handle differencing views that aren't phrased with sporadic smiley-faces, this really may not be for you; I've really not insulted you as an individual (unless you mistakenly identified yourself with again, my goldfish comment, in which case that's more a matter of your personal self-esteem than anything I've stated,) but you must realize that this is probably the one area of the forums where things are handled with exceedingly less kid-gloves than elsewhere, given an approved or denied suggestion has an impact on the server in whole.

My advice: don't take things so personally so quickly, it'll allow you to conduct a better argument while simultaneously, make you seem less emotional when it's really needless in this situation given neither I nor the first poster have tried to flame you at all. I've nothing against you in the least, I just heavily disagree with your take on the matter and vice-versa.

Just my advice, though.
If what you desire is a more organized vending area, then why not just organize the one we have? Limit vendors to specific rows and sections to keep it organized. If it ever needs to be expanded then it can be expanded further down and out. In the screen shot, image the red lines are the lines where vending is possible, and space between the vendor rows are 1-2 spaces thick. This would organize the vendors where they currently are into a more spaced out pattern.
A better idea, but it has several core flaws.

Issues:

1. It would have to be made so they literally could not vend anywhere but those tiles (not just a regulation, you get the idea.) Because if as you've painted the picture, so many players apparently find it difficult to walk several tiles and/or click an NPC once or twice, I highly doubt this could have any order unless it was set in stone. Which brings two flaws were it:

2. These people would likely spam Vend on the wrong spots anyway, given if they can't make a few clicks, how can we expect them to read the pinned threads and see images regarding positioning? They'd be walking around incorrect tiles spamming Vend going "WHY ISN'T IT WORKING??" and it would require others to instruct every new player in this fashion on where they'd need to Vend, not to mention forum spamming and GM questioning. Alternatively, a Merchant Square NPC at every major location would be justice.

3. Ultimately, especially at peak vending times, it would necessitate the vendors be spread out further down the line, which ironically makes this even worse on people for quick and easy access than a Merchant Square would, because the more the server grows, the more they'd have to walk.. and walk.. and walk.. and walk.. Not to mention, we at least occasionally get some vertical spacing as it is, people'd be on every cell on the right side, and while the left side would be nice up to a point, it ultimately suffers the problems of again, "let's journey down the Merchant Brick Road! :D" This is as much something for the future as it is for now, it might be far more difficult to transition into a merchant location change as the server's lifespan grows than it would be right now, while it's still relatively upstart.
-------------------------------

/fist